Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help with First Trip to Zurich Switzerland and Rome

My family and I want to plan a trip 2025 . We want to arrive in Zurich to check out the Matterhorn, any recommendations on where to stay for 4 people, any ideas on places to eat and other sites to see. From there we would like to take a train to Rome hopefully it’s only a day journey. Rome, any places to stay that are pretty exciting to see and sites to visit and food to try. Stay here in Rome for two days, before hoping on the cruise to ROME (CI) , SANATORIA, EPHESUS,, MYKONOS, NAPLES. Thank your for any help

Posted by
11320 posts

The Matterhorn is in Zermatt, not near Zurich at all. The closest major airport is Geneva. I suggest a good guidebook (like Rick Steves) to answer your where-to-stay, where-to-eat, and what-to-see questions. I hope you are spending a few days there to enhance your chances of actually seeing the Matterhorn.

It is a long trip to Rome, certainly a full day. 8+ hours by train and you will take at least 3 trains. As to your other Rome questions again, you need a guidebook. What to see depends on your interests, doesn't it?

You can always check books out at the library if you don't want to buy them but frankly, having a great guidebook along will be a handy reference on your trip.

Posted by
16268 posts

Although Geneva is closer on the map, the train trip to Zermatt is faster from Zurich than from Geneva, thanks to the deep tunnel. From Zurich airport one can reach Zermatt in 3.5 hours, some with only a single change on the way (Visp).

Posted by
30 posts

Well, at least you have a year to plan this trip. As others have said, review some guidebooks (like Rick Steves!), but I would also recommend looking at maps of Europe and figuring out where everything is first.

A lot of people, including me, cruise out of Rome. I usually try to arrive at least four days ahead of my cruise to get over my jet lag, make sure my luggage arrives safely, and enjoy some time in the the city visiting archaeological sites like the Colosseum, and other famous places like the Vatican area. Rome has enough to see for a few years!

Your cruise is probably going to the Greek island of Santorini, not Sanatoria. Ephesus is an ancient site to visit at the port of Kusadasi in Turkey. You should start researching each of these port stops to see what you want to see and do, because those can be very busy stops (although they are some of my favorites!).

Please know that if you cruise to the Mediterranean in the Summer, it can be very, very hot, especially at sites like Pompeii (which can be visited from Naples).

I think it is nice that you also want to see Switzerland, but the way you are planning means a lot of rushing around without necessarily accomplishing much.

As others have said, the Matterhorn is hours away by train from the airports in the exclusive town of Zermatt. Zermatt is a bit remote and very expensive. Perhaps you could take a day trip from Zurich to the Jungfrau region and see some of those mountains instead.

If you have to go to Switzerland first, then if you stay in Zurich the train to Rome may be a little less hectic. Or, maybe you can just find a cheap flight.

Have fun planning!