Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help, please!

My girlfriend & I are arriving and flying out of Zurich on June 20-June 27. Places we are interested in visiting are Zurich, Lucerne, Bern, Bernese Oberland (Interlaken, Jungfrau region, Wengen, Grindlewald, Lauterbrunnen) area looks especially intriguing in the summer for us (hiking, photography, water sports, etc) along with possible visits to Zermatt and Lavertezzo. We are kindly looking for suggestions on a possible itinerary to visit these places efficiently without backtracking and or wasting time with travel between each. Also was trying to get a consensus on car vs train, seem to have mixed opinions on this. Also, possible hotel recommendations within these areas that would help with efficiency of travel would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by
5581 posts

In Switzerland, NEVER car. The trains and local transportation are very efficient. In Berner Oberland and also I believe Zermatt, cars aren't even allowed in many of the areas. I would concentrate in Luzern and Berner Oberland staying in either Lauterbrunnen Valley or Murren. Switzerland can have some iffy weather. If its overcast you can't see the mountains or if you go to a mountain top you may not have a view. If you try to cover all those areas, you may end up being in each place on bad weather days. I did do Bern from Luzern for a day trip. This could be an especially good idea if you have a day that isn't particularly clear. Luzern would have a variety of options that could be utilized depending on weather. It is beautiful along the river and lake in Luzern. We took a trip across the lake and a cog train up to the top of Mt. Rigi which was incredible. In Lauterbrunnen Valley I stayed in an Airbnb. In Luzern I stayed at Drei Konige https://www.drei-koenige.ch/de

Posted by
11159 posts

With only one week, I would stay in Lucerne and the Berner Oberland. We loved staying in Grindelwald with train connections available. One day was spent at the Jungfrau, another in Murren and Wengen. Gorgeous scenery.

Posted by
7209 posts

I'm looking at your destinations and thinking you don't even need a "consensus" because there's no doubt about it that the trains, boats, gondolas, funiculars are the way to travel. Several of your destinations can't even be reached by car even if you wanted to drive.

Posted by
5581 posts

make sure you know that Grindelwald and Gimmewald are two different places. Rick Steves (and me too!) loves Gimmewald. It is close/accessible from Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/Murren. Grindelwald is on the other side. I spent some time there and it seemed more touristy.