Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help Please!

Spending 7 nights in the central Switzerland/alps area in mid June. Have a good amount of the schedule worked out but have 2 remaining big questions I'm seeking advice on:

1) Already have 2 nights in Luzern booked followed by 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen Valley with my final night being back in Zurich for ease to get to the airport before leaving. That leaves me with 2 nights open between Lauterbrunnen and Zurich. My goal is to take in all the scenery in the Bernese Oberland with hikes, photos, etc....does it make sense to stay another 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen or choose a different mountain town? I've heard it was the easiest because it's on the valley floor and a good starting point to get up either side of mountain towns.

2) Will have a rental car which both my hotels in Luzern and Lauterbrunnen allow parking for but was also looking for a travel pass to supplement. What would be the most economical pass to navigate mountain towns, gondolas, lifts, etc? Half fare card? Bernese Oberland Pass? etc. I realize I will be parking and leaving the car but i basically have the car for free with travel pts. Would appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks!

Posted by
7209 posts

Add 2 more nights to the Lauterbrunnen area (Wengen, Murren, Gimmelwald, Schilthorn, Jungfrau). Your current 2 nights is entirely inadequate.

Get rid of your car because you TOTALLY don't need it. Just get your Swiss Rail Pass and use it for all of your travels.

Lauterbrunnen is a pretty little village in the valley. But why not stay up in the mountains with the spectacular views all around...you can look down into the Lauterbrunnen Valley from there.

Posted by
11361 posts

I concur with Tim. A car is completely unnecessary in both Luzern and the Lauterbrunnen area, and you can have no better base for the greater Berner Oberland than Lauterbrunnen. It is convenient to both sides of the valley as well as linked to Interlaken if you choose to go further afield in your four nights/three full days in the area.

I, however, recommend the Berner Oberland Regional Pass which will cover you from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen and everything in the area with a supplemental charge for the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. You only need to buy tickets from Zurich to Luzern then a ticket for the return to Zurich once you are out of the area of validity for the pass.

Posted by
8889 posts

Will have a rental car which both my hotels in Luzern and Lauterbrunnen allow parking for

They have parking, but is it free? You may find they are charging for it.
I concur, a car is an unnecessary encumbrance for this trip.