Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help needed

I will be flying in to Zurich and out of Milan arriving July 3 and departing July 11. My booked itinerary is 2 nights in Lucerne and 3 nights in Murren departing July 8.

What would be an ideal area to explore between Murren and Milan? My flight departs in the early afternoon of July 11. Initially I wanted to visit lake Como, but later realized it would take almost a full day of travel between Murren and Varenna. My other option was staying in Brig area and connecting to Stressa Italy and then on to Milan.

Another option was visiting Montreux Jazz festival. Please advise on what to do with the remanding 3 nights.

Posted by
32200 posts

diz,

One option you might consider would be to spend your last three nights in Stresa and don't even bother going into Milan. It's a beautiful town and would fit better with your overall route, as it's easy to get to the airport from there (as short as 35 minutes to Gallarate and then a brief Taxi ride).

While in Stresa you could tour the beautiful Borromeo Islands or take a day trip to Locarno Switzerland on the scenic Cento Valli Railway, returning by boat in the evening. If you decide to go to Locarno, I can offer some sightseeing suggestions for that.

Posted by
32200 posts

dl,

It's difficult to recommend a specific Swiss rail pass, as there are so MANY choices. I spent hours trying to analyze the Swiss passes on an Excel sheet prior to my last trip there, and I finally just gave up and made an "educated guess". This website may provide some information that will help you choose.....

http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains/switzerland-rail-passes

Hopefully Laura or one of the others will be able to provide some additional tips.

Posted by
16893 posts

I don't know the logistics of visiting the Montreux Jazz festival, but it looks like event tickets are still for sale online, not sold out: http://www.montreuxjazzfestival.com/en/program15.

If you start train travel on July 3 from Zurich airport to Lucerne and leave to Stresa, Italy on July 8, then that's 6 days in Switzerland. If you stay near Montreux and depart to Italy on July 10, then that's 8 days there and at least one of them spent on a train.

If you don't go to Montreux, then your main train rides Zurich-Luzern-Muerren-Domodossola add up to roughly $150. A pass for 8 consecutive days at $400 may be more than you need to spend and a flexi pass covering 3 or 4 travel days + Half-Fare Combi feature is not much cheaper.The value that you can get our of a Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare Card will depend on how much sightseeing you fit into those stays in Lucerne and Muerren. Lower-level transport and museums can be fully covered by passes and higher mountain rides mostly discounted 50% (see the link), and these costs can add up.

If you choose the one-month Half-Fare Travel Card at $133, then you do at least save money over buying regular transport tickets along the way, even for the minimum amount of travel that is certain. Passes and Half-Fare Card are both sold at Zurich Airport train station (and you are almost running out of time for home delivery before you go).