Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help July 2024

Hi! Visiting Switzerland for the first time with my family (6 people) July 2024 and would really appreciate someone looking over my Itinerary and whether it’s doable/ realistic.

Arrive July 18- visit Rhine Falls while waiting for checkin time. stay in Zurich overnight.
July 19- go down to Chur/ St. moritz for Glacier Express to Zermatt
July 19-July 21 Stay in Zermatt
-explore Zermatt
July 21-July 23- Stay in Lausanne
-explore Montreux, Lausanne, Geneva Area
July 23 golden Pass (Montreux- Luzern)
July 23-July 26 Stay in Luzern
-Visit interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunne
July 26-27 stay in Zurich for flight back 27th.

I am open to all suggestions. This is a special trip for my mom who just retired so just want to make it the most of it. Thank you!

Posted by
15 posts

First off - your dates don’t make sense. Maybe you are showing days. But it is less confusing to list nights.

Did you mean to stay in Lucerne July 23-25th and Zürich July 26th?

I haven’t travelled yet. But wondering why you would stay in Lucerne when all your activities are out of Interlaken. Why not stay in the Jungfrau region July 23-25th. You can stop in Lucerne en route to Zürich and store your luggage at the train station if you want some time there.

Or stay July 23rd and 24th in Jungfrau - then Lucerne on Jul 25th

Posted by
5 posts

Sorry for listing in a confusing manner. Hopefully the way I listed below will be more clear.

My sister reserved an apartment June 22nd to 26th in Lucerne before we got a chance to really work on the itinerary but thankfully there is a free cancellation/ change so I was hoping to keep it for some of those dates since we got a good price. Lucerne seemed to be a reasonable distance from those cities to make day trips which is why we are trying to stay there.

Arrive July 18- Stay in Zurich
-visit Rhine Falls

July 19- go down to Chur/ St. moritz for Glacier Express to Zermatt

July 19-July 20 Stay in Zermatt (2nights)

July 21-July 22 Stay in Lausanne (2nights)

July 23: Golden Pass Train (Montreux- Interlaken-Lucerne)

July 23-July 26: Stay in Lucerne (3 nights)
-Visit interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunne

July 26: stay in Zurich (1night)

July 27: Fly home

Alternative option is to completely skip Glacier Express

Arrive July 18- Stay in Zurich
-visit Rhine Falls

July 19-July 20 Stay in Zermatt (2nights)

Visit Interlaken on the way?

July 23-July 26: Stay in Lucerne (3 nights)
Visit Lucerne, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunne

Posted by
584 posts

I think you’re trying to cover way too much and you’re going to see more of the inside of trains than anything on this trip with your plan. It’s tempting to try to see it all, but 9 nights you should have a max of 3 bases to actually enjoy where you’re going. Move your luggage less and you’ll see more.

July 18 - Zurich > Zermatt (3 nights)
July 21 - Zermatt > Montreux (2 Nights)
July 23 - Montreux > Luzern (4 Nights) — the amount of day trips you have from here requires time and you can get to the airport from Luzern instead of moving to Zurich

Posted by
5349 posts

Switzerland is known for the Alps, but you are staying in cities. Wouldn't you rather be sleeping IN the Alps? I understand it's a big project planning for others, and you're wanting a special trip with your mom. But you're on the go too much to really enjoy being anywhere. Download the SBB train app and block out how much time travel actually takes.
Start simple with the time you have. Go straight to the Berner Oberland ( Wengen or Murren) and be in the Alps. Then a few days in Lucerne. That will fill your time easily.
You are pretty late to be booking lodging, so availability may influence your itinerary, especially for a group.
In either case, have a wonderful family trip and enjoy this beautiful country, safe travels!

Posted by
5 posts

Yes unfortunately we didn’t realize how busy Switzerland gets in the summer. We have never traveled to Europe so definitely learning a lot of lessons for the future.

In your opinions, should we skip the scenic train rides? I just thought it would be a memorable experience but it seems like there’s scenic views everywhere in Switzerland and glacier express may be a time drain.

I’ve adjusted my itinerary some. We have to stay in Zurich the last night because we have a morning flight and don’t want to rush to the airport.

Please let me know what you guys think about this.

Arrive 10 AM July 18- visit Rhine Falls then travel to Zermatt
July 18-July 20 Stay in Zermatt (3nights)
-explore Zermatt/ interlaken (apparently Interlaken 2.5 hours away on SBB so we could combine this area?)
July 23-July 25: Stay in Lucerne (3nights) 
Visit Lucerne, Lauterbrunne, and remainder of interlaken we didn’t get to?

I really do appreciate all the help! This trip is more challenging to plan than expected however hoping we pull it off with everyone’s guidance.

Posted by
5349 posts

I realize that you are working hard, and learning lots in the process. Kudos for all your efforts and revisions.
Yes, since Covid, travel to Europe is at an all-time high. Many folks make lodging reservations 6-9 months out, so last-minute travelers are at a disadvantage.

However, 2.5 hrs each way is too much for a day trip. In reality, you're leaving the lodging, walking to the train station, getting oriented, arriving a few minutes early, riding the train, getting oriented to the new destination. That makes it functionally at least three plus hours each way, and that IMHO, is too much for one day.
Again, you are sleeping in cities and on the valley floor. Is it important for you to wake up in the Alps, and watch the sunset in the Alps? It is incredible to actually be in the Alps and experience the beauty, breathe the mountain air, and just gaze at the scenery. If possible, stay in Wengen, Murren, or Lauterbrunen, and don't day trip.

You are planning a group trip to an incredible area. All your efforts will be worthwhile!

Posted by
5 posts

Can I stay in these towns without a car? Are they pretty easy to access via train/ public transport? My parents can walk without assistance but have trouble in areas with lots of stairs/ incline walking.

Posted by
66 posts

Switzerland as a whole is the most non-car friendly country I’ve ever been to. So yes, Lauterbrunnen, wengen, or Murren will all be far easier WITHOUT a car, in fact. They are all walkable small places, but if you want to explore, hiking ability is something you’ll want. But yeah, what others said—cut your itinerary down. I’d just read Rick Steves and see what you’d like to do from his book. Bernese Oberland (Murren/lauterbrunnen/gimmelwald/wengen) should be your priority.

Posted by
5 posts

We found a place in Wengen instead of Lucerne. I appreciate everyone’s help!

Posted by
414 posts

Just small FYI here: July is a rainy month in the alps, come prepared. I agree with all other posts: go to Switzerland to see the alps not the cities, and please slow down your pace of travel or miss everything. I would (in/out of Zurich) with your short amount of time in Switzerland just plan on going to the Berner Oberland. That way you can really enjoy your trip rather than trying to enjoy the inside of a train/car. J

Posted by
30 posts

Hi there,

Please feel free to reach out if you need more help/recommendations about Lausanne/Vevey/Montreux part of your trip. I live in Vevey and know the area pretty well. Safe travels and enjoy your Swiss adventure!

Ana