Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help for Switzerland Summer 2017

We are a group of four ladies (age 45 - 60) that are active and enjoy travel. We are all teachers and have time to explore Europe during the summer. As I am originally from England, and travel back and forth to the UK often, I usually am the one who plans and organizes our trips. We did Ireland last summer on a small group tour. Next summer (2017), I would like to take the group to Switzerland. I have been to Switzerland before (In 2011 on a budget bus tour and as a teenager camping with my family) . I am familiar with some places and feel that this time I can plan and travel our trip independently. The plan so far is to fly into Zurich (where I will meet my brother from the UK to join us on our travels - He loves being a tour guide! ) then go directly to the Lauterbrunnen Valley to stay in either Murren or Wengen (4 nights) then onto Zermatt for (2 nights). From there I am not sure where to go. I have read mixed reviews on the Glacier Express. I am wondering if we should go to Stresa and tour the lakes for a day or two, or take the GE to St. Moritz and explore there. We will have about 14 days to travel. I would like to visit Lucerne and possibly spend 1/2 day in Bern (may do this before we get to BO), So where to go next? any suggestions on the second week of our Itinerary would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted by
2758 posts

I would consider Vevey on Lake Geneva. It's just beautiful and a very short train ride to Chateau Chillion (not spelled correctly) and Lausanne. It would be a little change of pace, but you can still see the Alps across the lake.

Posted by
8889 posts

mpaulyn, Sounds good so far, but you have only accounted for 6 nights, I hope you have a lot more time than that.
Luzern is good for the first or last night, because it is only 1 hour from Zürich airport by train. If you make Luzern first night, you can then go by the scenic Brünig pass route to Interlaken and the Berner Oberland. If you go direct from the airport, the quicker route is via Bern.
Bern is nice, and worth ½ or a full day, but you may not have time.

I always recommend the official Swiss Railway map for planning, it will show you where trains do go in Switzerland (and do not, usually because there are mountains in the way): https://www.swisspasses.com/railpass/overviewmap_en.pdf

If you want to skip the Glacier Express, and I really like Stresa (look up "Borromean Islands"), I suggest:
- Zermatt to Stresa (simple run).
- Cut across to Lugano (ferry across lake + bus, or ferry to Locarno and train, see map).
- From Lugano there is one daily bus to Tirano (booking required). This links up with the Bernina Express, which goes over the top of the Alps to Chur.
- Overnight in Chur, straight run back to Zürich airport.

Posted by
8818 posts

What kind of negative reviews did you see about the Glacier Express? The special train named the Glacier Express is one thing, but there are several regular trains a day that take the exact same route, and you see the same stunning scenery.

I like to recommend that people spend some time in both the French and the German speaking areas, so they can have two different cultural experiences in one country. Squeeze in the Italian side too, if you have time.

I'd skip Bern, unless you decide you need some city-time. Its nice enough, just not really in the mountains,

Posted by
1027 posts

Thanks for all your responses

Chris - I really like your suggestions. I have looked up Stresa and the Borromean Islands and they look like a place my travel friends would be interested in going to. I also like the idea of traveling on the Bernese Express and then back to Zurich. I have about 14 days or more to do this. I have been to Bern several times and agree only worth 1/2 day. ( I am sure my friends would enjoy going, but I can skip it this time - unless we have a bad weather day in the mountains). I also like the idea of seeing Lucerne first and taking the more scenic route to BO. I have visited Geneva area and Montreux, but never the Italian side of Switzerland. We have at least 14 days to do this trip. I am just trying to decide if I want to take the GE all the way to St. Moritz and explore there or skip the GE, go to Stresa and work in the BE instead. I have not really seen negative reviews just that the the BE is more dramatic and stunning that the GE. I am not so familiar with the Italian side and routes. How much time do I need in Stresa and where should I stay next for a few days before heading back to Zurich?