My husband and I will be traveling to Europe in September. I need advice about the order and the # of nights spent in each area of our itinerary. We plan to travel to each destination by train.
- Fly into Frankfurt, Germany at 0730. Bus to Cochem. Hike/tour Eltz Castle. Spend 2 nights in Cochem.
- Train from Cochem to Colmar, France. 3 nights including a full day wine tour
- Train from Colmar to Zermatt, Switzerland. 3 nights. Do as many day hikes as possible.
- Train from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen. 5 nights in Murren. Hiking in the mountains/ seeing the lakes at Interlaken
- Lauterbrunnen to Luzern. 2 nights. Hopefully, hike around Mt. Pilatus
- Train to Zurich to get ready to head home 1 night. Leave Zurich.
Originally, I had us visiting Lauterbrunnen, first, then Zermatt. But after reading some comments on various forums, it seemed like a better idea to reverse the order. I didn't know if 3 nights was too much for Colmar and/or Zermatt? Do you think we would benefit from a Swiss rail pass? Am I missing a site that would fit into my itinerary? I considered Appenzell and Engleberg. Would they be better than Zermatt?
Thank you in advance for your input!