Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help for July trip

We have 9 nights to spend for a family of 6 with 4 teenagers. We fly into and out of Zurich. We plan to spend 4-5 nights around Murren/Wengen but then I'm not sure what to do. Is it worth the time to travel east to do the Bernina Express, and if so, is it worth it to travel the extra hour to Lake Como (Varenna), keeping in mind we have to end up back near Zurich? Or should we stick to going to Zermatt for a couple nights? Or does anyone have other recommendations for the 3 nights before we head north towards Zurich again. The last night will be spent in Lucern, from where we'll take the train to the Zurich airport the day of our flight home. We enjoy adventure activities, but are also kind of interested in enjoying a scenic train ride but are not sure about spending an estimated 7-8 hours on a train each way.

Posted by
3551 posts

There is alot to do in and around Lucerne. Mt Pilatus, Mt Rigi (low cost spa, pool avail), cruise the river, castle visit and enjoy the scenery etc. in Murren , wengen area there are other areas to visit and hike. Weather can chg quickly so. That part remAins unknown. There is lake region nrby lake Brienz and Lake Thun with a reconstructed vintage swiss village that families love. Think a williamsburg type of park. It is called Ballenberg open air swiss village.
Well worth a detour if u think your teens would enjoy it.
Skip Zermatt as its weather is very changeable and oneway in and out with train transfers necessary. I have done all,of the above and enjoyed it very much.

Posted by
219 posts

There are so many beautiful sites to see around Muerren & Wengen that I think you should rent an apartment for a week there, explore that area with plenty of close by hikes in the snow capped mountains, cable cars and trains up to the peaks with activities, and day trips, choosing locations by where the best weather is. You can make many of your meals at home to save money. And you can all relax as a family "at home" and won't lose precious days checking in and out of hotels all over the country. Then your last 2 or 3 nights move to Luzern, which also has loads to see--a charming Old Town, boat rides on the lake, and mountains. Mt. Titlis, near Luzern, has snow sledding and snow tubing in July on a permanent glacier.

Posted by
11315 posts

While I love a good long stay in Lauterbrunnen, I think for a first trip splitting time between Lauterbrunnen and the Valais is a nice idea. Zermatt has amazing hiking, but I have also heard great things about Saas-Fee and Bettmeralp (thanks to Lola who contributes here frequently). We have not made it to those two places yet ourselves.

One idea: 5 nights in Lauterbrunnen, 3 in Zermatt (Or other Valais destination), 1 back near Zurich to facilitate flying out.

Second idea: 6 nights in Lauterbrunnen then the remaining nights in Luzern from which you can reach Zurich airport the same day you fly out. Take the route of the Golden Pass to Luzern for some fine scenery from the train.

Edited to correct name of train. Thanks, LindaL!

Posted by
219 posts

Clarifying, it's the Golden Pass route that gets you to Luzern from Interlaken Ost (near Lauterbrunnen), not the William Tell Express route (which now is called the Gotthard Panorama Express and connects Luzern to Lugano).