Hello fellow travelers!
Background: Husband (35) and wife (28), belated honeymoon trip
Where: Berner Oberland, Zermatt, Lucerne; When: 10-14 days June/July 2020
Travel Style: Lots of hiking, outdoors sightseeing, maybe some backpacking/camping but also hotel/b&b stays (it is a honeymoon after all)
Can you help with these questions?
1) Flights to cities in Switzerland are starting at about $1100 with few exceptions (and they're pretty inconvenient). Does anyone have experience flying into less expensive places and then getting to Switzerland via regional flight or train? i.e. flights to Barcelona/Madrid are around $600 for the same time frames.
- also a flight into Nice costs about $725 - any affordable train routes into Switzerland from there?
2) If I ride a train or take a regional flight, should I book that in advance or just find and pay when I get there?
3) If we spend most of our time in the Berner Oberland with just a couple nights elsewhere but are frequently taking funiculars/trams to places like Murren, Schilthorn, Mannlichen, etc., is the Swiss Pass or Half Fare Card worth it?
4) Anyone have experience camping near Lauterbrunnen/Interlaken? Tips, tricks, advice?
5) Is booking accommodations directly or through big sites (booking.com, expedia) recommended? We are going to prefer places that would cost around $175 or less per night. With a mixture of camping/hotel rooms, I'm not sure how much to book in advance...