Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help!

Hello! I am traveling with my 12 year old daughter in mid October to visit her sister studying in Zermatt. Planning on flying into Geneva on Tues/Wed 10/6-17, spending a day there and making our way to Zermatt for the weekend (19th-22nd). Then where? Need to be back in Geneva by end of the week for flight home on 10/26ish. Not renting a car, so likely train would be best. Any suggestions would be most helpful as I don't even know where to begin! Thank you!

Posted by
5581 posts

I highly recommend Luzern where there was a variety things to do. Museums, lovely lake and river with bridges, opportunities for hiking and sightseeing on Rigi or Pilatus. You could also make a day trip to Bern from there. My other suggestion would be to stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren and explore the Berner Oberland region. We made a stop in Montreaux to visit Chateau Chillon on Lake Geneva.

Posted by
5581 posts

Your welcome!
I spent a day in Geneva last January. My daughter is very interested in particle physics. You can take a free tour at CERN which is very easy to get to on a Geneva bus. It's free but you need to make ticket reservations in advance and typically the day they are released. We also went to the United Nations building which was interesting but not open because the Chinese President was there. The train ride from Montreaux (on Lake Geneva) to Luzern is very beautiful

Posted by
1075 posts

I would definitely recommend getting a copy of Rick Steves Switzerland if you have not yet. No need to buy, you can always get from your local public library. It’s a really good book. We will be in Switzerland for three nights this summer and we will be spending one night in Bern, one night in Mürren, and one in Zürich because we have an early flight the next day. We are most looking forward to our time hiking and reveling in the Alps and Mürren. Bern’s reputation as a well preserved medieval city appealed to us as well.