Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

My husband and I are taking a river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam in mid-July, and I am going to combine it with a few weeks in Switzerland before the cruise. I'm doing that part alone; my husband will meet me in Luzern three days before the cruise leaves.

Here's a potential plan I've come up with, and I'd love some feedback. Some context: I like to walk but am not in good enough shape for demanding hikes. I usually prefer to spend at least 3 nights in a place before moving on, and I like to combine active sightseeing with periodic lazy afternoons wandering aimlessly around a town or sitting in a cafe people-watching. I'm an experienced solo traveler but this will be my first time in Switzerland.

• Fly into Zurich
  • 3 nights in Appenzell
  • 1 night in Chur
  • Bernina Express from Chur to Lugano
  • 3-4 nights in Lugano or Locarno
  • Train to Interlaken (probably to Luzern, then Golden Pass to Interlaken)
  • 5-6 nights in Lauterbrunnen or Mürren
  • Golden Pass to Montreux
  • 3 nights in Lake Geneva area (Lausanne, Montreux, or Vevey)
  • 3 nights in Bern or Murten
  • 3 nights in Luzern
  • To Basel for the river cruise

(When I name the scenic trains, I don't necessarily mean the special train - I just mean that particular route)

Do the numbers of days and the sequence of locations look reasonable? If I add days anywhere, I'll have to subtract them from somewhere else.

Thanks in advance -

Melissa

Posted by
1028 posts

I'm sure you know, but the Bernina Express train route does not go to Lugano. It ends at Tirano, Italy. The company does offer an onward bus to Lugano. The train ride is wonderful (take the branded Bernina Express cars with the panoramic windows; its worth it). The bus ride, I'm afraid I don't know.

Posted by
27063 posts

At one time or another (though long ago) I've been to almost every place on your list, and I think your timing looks good. I would definitely want 4 nights in the Ticino, because there are some great side-trips to be taken, starting with the Centovalli train from Locarno to Domodossala, Italy, and the Valle Verzasca postbus ride, also from Locarno. From Lugano there are some shorter trips to nearby lakeside communities like Gandria and Morcote (both quite touristy as I recall). From the standpoint of atmosphere, I preferred Lugano back in the 1980s. It was livelier (more Italian-feeling), whereas Locarno felt more Belle Epoque, which isn't really my style. But both places could have changed a great deal since I visited. I always meant to get off the train at Bellinzona and take a look around, but I never managed to do it.

Posted by
16194 posts

I too will recommend the Centovalli Rail scenic train from Locarno to Domodossola.

http://www.centovalli.ch/index.php?id=19&L=2

You can use it on your way to Interlaken, instead of the route via Luzern. Younwould go Locarno to Domodossola, changing there to the North-South line upmto Switzerland via the Simpson tunnel. You would head to Spiez, possibly with a change at Brig, but some trains are direct. At Spiez there is a direct train to Interlaken Öst.

Posted by
312 posts

Thanks to all for the input! I'm going to go ahead and buy my plane tickets and start working on accommodations.

I had seen the Centovalli Rail route on the SBB website but thought the Golden Pass segment from Luzern to Interlaken would be more scenic. I'm glad to know there's a good alternative.

I'm still totally undecided about Lugano or Lucarno ... or Stresa, or even back to Lake Como, where I visited last summer and could have stayed for weeks.