Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help

my family arrives to Geneva in July. We would like to spend 4 days to see the beauty of Switzerland before we head to to Italy. need help planning a good route through the country that would include a panoramic train and end up in Como, Milan or Genoa, so we can easily get to Cinque Terre.
Thank you!

Posted by
5706 posts

I would spend two nights in Luzern and two in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. There is a scenic train between Luzern and Montreaux(on Lake Geneva, relatively close to Geneva. I've been to a few of the Switzerland cities and would rank them as follows: Luzern, Lauterbrunnen Valley, Basel, Bern, Geneva

Posted by
4 posts

so take the golden pass from Montreux to Interlaken and from there take a different train to Lauterbrunnen?
when we leave Lauterbrunnen, we head back to Interlaken to catch the Golden pass to Luzern?

How do you think that itinerary compares to:
Geneva to Luzern with a stop in Bern. spend 2 nights in Luzern and take the Gotthard Express (boat & train) to Lugano?
Is this route less scenic?

Posted by
16894 posts

I would also prefer the first route suggested. Traveling via Montreux and Zweisimmen definitely gives you more lake and mountain scenery than trains via Bern. While the Gotthard Panorama is the one that I have not taken among Switzerland's most promoted scenic routes, it also has fewer "package" departures and is slower than you probably want on a day when you're trying to reach the Cinque Terre.