Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

Our itinerary is almost complete.
Day 1 - Arrive in Luzern, train to Luzern. Spend two nights on Luzern
Day 3 - Gotthard Panorama to Lugano. Two nights in Lugano
Day 5 - Bernia Express to Pontresina. Three nights in Pontresina.
Day 8 - Glacier Express to Zermatt. Two nights in Zermatt
Day 10 - Train to Lusanne. Two nights in Lusanne.
Day 12 - Golden Pass to Interlaken. Three nights in Murren
Day 15 -16 - Not sure what to do. Another day in Murren and then train to Zurich. Or spend Night 15 in Bern and then Night 16 in Zurich. Or spend night 15 & 16 in Zurich. Our Zurich flights leaves at 9:20 am on day 17 so I don't think we'd be comfortable spending night 16 anywhere other than Zurich.

We like a mixture of nice walks, scenic travel, pretty towns, some historic sights, good food and of course seeing the mountain areas. We're not into hiking or biking. We are in our late 60's and in pretty good health. I know this is moving around a lot, but this is probably our only trip to Switzerland (too many other places to see) and we'd like to get a little taste of most of Switzerland.

Posted by
81 posts

Just returned from 2 days in Bern, 4 days in Murren, 3 in Lucerne, and 2 in Zurich. IMHO, Bern wasn't worth the time (lots of construction), and the other places were. Also in our late 60s, my wife and I hiked most of the trails around Murren (North Face was our favorite, especially to the Sprutz waterfall), along with some on the Wengen side, plus trails on Mt. Rigi and Mt. Pilatus near Lucerne. None were difficult for us, though we are quite active at home (mostly cycling). Switzerland is a magic place. Your train rides sound fantastic. Enjoy!

Posted by
31 posts

Thank you, Larry, Suki and myswisslife for your replies. You've certainly given me things to consider. Our trip is in September, so we need to make our decision soon.

Posted by
486 posts

Hello again,
I thought of another place that you might enjoy, perhaps you already know of it. You could easily visit it from Murren.
https://www.ballenberg.ch/en

Here is what Rick says:

"Relive the Swiss old days. At the Ballenberg Open-Air Museum (an hour east of Interlaken on Lake Brienz), traditional houses, schools, churches, and shops from all over Switzerland have been moved to a huge park. The layout is just like the country: French in the west, Italian in the south, and so on. Each dwelling is furnished, old-time crafts are kept alive, and goat herders are tooting their slender stretch alphorns. It's Swiss culture on a lazy Susan for the hurried visitor, and a great rainy-day option in the Berner Oberland."

This is a favourite location of ours and we have takes visitors there with great success.

Posted by
31 posts

my-swiss-life, thank you so much for that suggestion. Looks like a very interesting place.