Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help

Hi! I have round trip air booked to Milan for 14 nights at end of April though beginning of May with retired husband (with slight mobility concerns). We are hoping to travel by train, based on suggestions from this group. We booked first 2 nites in Italy (Porto Ceresio, but spending first day in Milan) and last nite (Milan) before flight. We'd like to stay in Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and maybe add one more base in Switzerland. Looking for that small village "wow experience" over city stops. Not sure if we will be able to see Murren /Jungfraujoch at that time of year due to transportation restrictions. Feeling quite overwhelmed- would so appreciate assistance with an itinerary! TIA!!

Posted by
6894 posts

Hi!
Wengen and Lauterbrunnen are next to each other: pick one. I suggest Wengen, due to being more unique (car-free).
Jungfraujoch will be accessible, but Schilthorn above Mürren has a maintenance period in late April and Mannlichen above Wengen will be closed.
5 nights would be plenty of time, and 4 nights would probably do: activities are more limited than at other periods.

Between Porto Ceresio and Wengen, I strongly recommend a stop in Luzern. I know, it's a city, but really a small one, and it's lovely in the spring.
To get there the scenic way: boat and bus to Lugano, local train to Cadenazzo, "Treno Gottardo" to Luzern, which goes via Göschenen on the old Gotthard Pass railway.
If Luzern does not appeal, Weggis could work.
3-4 nights is enough.

Then, on your way from Wengen to Milan, Stresa could be an interesting stop for 2 nights, or you could go the long via via Montreux, or you could extend your stay in Milan - there's plenty to do for a 2-night stay and several good day trips for longer stays.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks so much for your help! So please correct me or advise if I have this wrong... I'm guessing I probably have the Side Trips out of order or starting from less than the most convenient place.

Porto Ceresio - 2 nites (Sights/Side Trips to Milan; Porto)
Porto > Lugano > Lucerne - 3 nites (Sights/Side Trips to Old Town; Appenzell; Weggis)
Lucerne > Wengen OR Lauterbrunnen - 4 nites (Sights/Side Trips to Gimmelwald; Murren; Jungfraujoch; Trummelbach Falls)
Wengen OR Lauterbrunnen > Montreux - 4 nites (Sights/Side Trips to Lake Geneva; Chateau de Chillon; Lausanne; Gruyeres; Zermatt)
Montreux > Milan - 1 nite

Thanks again. I so appreciate this assistance!!