Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help

Hi all,

I'm travelling to Switzerland and Austria with my wife and parents in July 2017 and am looking for a little help with the Switzerland part of our itinerary. We're going to be in Switzerland for 7 days, and are mostly looking to take in the natural beauty of the alps and the culture of Switzerland. I was in Switzerland back in 2011 and did Luzern and BO for a few days. Right now, I've worked out the following itinerary, and would appreciate any thoughts you all might have.

Day 1: Arrive to Zurich in morning via the night train from Vienna. Head immediately to the Berner Oberland region. Debating between staying in Murren or Wengen, but leaning towards Wengen since more to do, if my parents want to take a day off from hiking. Will just do some exploring and easy hikes around our base.

Day 2: Weather permitting - Do the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike and then go up to Jungfraujoch,

Day 3: Weather permitting - go up to Schilthorn, and then do the North Face Trail.

Day 4: Take the train to Zermatt, and then go up the Gornergrat Bahn to view the Matterhorn. Do some easy hikes and spend night in Zermatt

Day 5: Head off to Vevey for and explore Vevey and Montreux. Go to a performance at the Montreux Jazz festival. Spend night in Vevey

Day 6: Visit Chateau de Chillon and Rochers-de-Naye. Alternatively might go to Gruyeres. Any thoughts here?

I keep going back and forth about going to Zermatt. The pictures of the Matterhorn look amazing, but not sure if it's worth it since we're spending 4 days in BO. Would it be better to spend a day/night in Luzern or Bern?

Thanks.

Posted by
262 posts

My comment is for your visit to the Vevey/Montreux area. July is busy time in this region, especially during Montreux Jazz.
If you have not yet booked your reservations, I would do so right away. The sights you mentioned are all worthwhile, but I would add visiting the Unesco Lavaux Vineyard Terraces which offer incredibly beautiful views while walking through charming villages and the vineyards. If you are staying in Vevey, definitely visit the marketplace at the marche. This starts early on Tuesdays and Saturdays, ending around noon. The boat rides on the lake are also very good. We are close to France and Yvoire is a worthwhile and easy stop.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1243

Posted by
2715 posts

I don't think it's worth it to go to Zermatt for one night. The odds are fairly good that it will be overcast and you won't be able to even see the Matterhorn. Also, it takes a while to get there from the BO, so it will be very rushed to do what you propose. Spend another night in the BO to increase your odds of good weather there.

I have not been to, or even heard of, Rochers-de-Naye, but you can easily do Chateau de Chillon and Gruyeres in one day.

Posted by
271 posts

Skip Zermatt. Between the length of your stay, the amount of time it takes to get to and then away from, and the fact that Zermatt is a mountainous Bourbon Street sans the nasty smells, it isn't my favorite anyway.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the comments. Looks like we'll drop Zermatt and possibly add an overnight in Luzern, or an extra night in Veveys. Thanks for the idea of Lavaux, that sounds great, and I think we'll definitely add that to the trip.

Is Luzern worth it for one day & 1 night. I think we'll be able to explore the city, but wouldn't be able to do any excursions.

Posted by
271 posts

Add that day to Luzern. It is worth it and you will have time to do excursions--boats all over the lake and many peaks to zip to via cablecar or train.