Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help!

We will be ending a river cruise in Basel in late September. We will have one week to spend. We booked a place( Nendaz, as it was a special offer, ) after the week we will be leaving there to go to Como, so we will be taking the glacier express and Bernini to get there. I am considering shortening our stay there in order to see more as that area appears to be a bit remote. Should I spend two days up in Colmar, France (bucket list but river cruise is supposed to include Riquewihr, has anyone been there? It is close to Colmar, however not colmar) at the beginning of the week, or stop off between Basel and Nendaz, maybe at Bern, or ? Another awesome place? Maybe Lausanne? Or should I leave Nendaz early and either stay along the route, (any suggestions?) or stay on another area of lake Como for a couple days?
I would love some ideas and suggestions as this is my first trip to the area and I am really excited and want to make sure I see as much as possible! Tia

Posted by
6875 posts

Ok, let me try to address things in order:

1/ Nendaz.
Can you cancel altogether? There's nothing wrong with Nendaz, but there are plenty of more beautiful places in the Valais, or places that are more convenient for day trips.
If it is a "done deal", do not despair: there is nothing wrong about Nendaz as I said, and you will be in the middle of amazing mountains.

2/ Colmar.
Riquewihr is a beautiful village next to Colmar. It features the same type of architecture as Colmar, and is probably the #1 day trip from Colmar. It is certainly not a "lesser sight" vs. Colmar.
Since going back to Colmar from Basel would be backtracking, I would not do it.

3/ Bern, Lausanne.
I agree with your impulse to shorten your stay in Nendaz if you can't cancel it (4-5 nights are probably enough there), but Swiss cities should not be your priority. Eastern lake Geneva (from Lavaux vineyards to Chillon Castle, with Vevey and Montreux in the middle) is lovely, however: parts can be visited as a long day trip from Nendaz, or you could spend the night in, say, Montreux.

4/ Glacier Express and Bernina Express.
This is where I get concerned: it will take a day and a half to go to lake Como that way. You need to spend a night along the way, and I suggest you spend two nights in or around Pontresina, at the start of the Bernina Railway. It will be a long day from Nendaz to Pontresina, but "only" 8 hours or so, so you can do it.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you so much for your advise! We are looking at pontresina , do you have any specific recommendations for a place to stay or restaurants

Posted by
32694 posts

for your answers about Pontresina use the search facility under the magnifying glass, put in pontresina, filter for Forum, filter for last 6 months and plenty will come up.