Please sign in to post.

Itinerary feedback for Sept 2022

Hello my fellow travelers. We purchased our airline tickets and the planning as begun. We will be in Switzerland 9/10 - 9/27 and we couldn't be more excited. Except for the "figuring out the itinerary". That's where you come in! So thanks in advance.

Tentative itinerary with a couple of dates and places we have to be, everything else is pretty flexible.
Arrive Zurich - train to St. Gallen (2 nights)
Train to Lugano (via the Voralpen Express out of Lucerne) (3 nights Lugano)
Train to Zermatt (regular train) we have to be in Zermatt on Saturday the 17th for a paid for excursion. (4 nights Zermatt)
Train to Thun (though we are considering stopping in Interlaken to bike to Thun, via e-bikes, who knew this was a thing? :) We have to be in Thun for an event on Monday night) (1 night in Thun)
Boat/Train to Grindelwald (4 nights Grindelwald)
Train to Lucerne (via Interlaken for a days adventures) (3 nights Lucerne)
Train to Zurich and flight home.

What should we reconsider? Is 4 nights too long in Zermatt? Should we go straight to Grindelwald and do the trip to Thun from there? Staying in Thun overnight isn't a must do, since it's an early event event we will be attending. Thanks for all the help and advice. This is our second time to Switzerland. St. Gallen, Lugano, Zermatt & Thun will be first time experiences for us.

Deb

Posted by
2685 posts

I think this looks like a great trip!!! i personally would avoid the one night in Thun to avoid changing hotels too many times. Be sure to check the boat times for lake Thun as the boats don't run as often as the trains. It is a nice boat ride though and i really enjoyed the Thun castle.

Regarding Zermatt, i don't think 4 nights anywhere is too long. You could always take a day trip somewhere.

Posted by
26 posts

Thank you Carrie,

After careful consideration of what we want to do and experience during our time Switzerland, we extended are stay in St. Gallen to (3 nights), added a 1 night stay in St. Moritz (we really want to experience the Bernina and Glacier Express routes) removed our stay in Lugano and the 1 night in Thun (we'll do it as a day trip from Grindelwald) so we will extended our stay in Grindelwald to 5 or 6 nights and 3 or 4 nights in Lucerne (depending on what we decided about Grindelwald time) before heading back to the US.