Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Assistance Summer 2023

We will be traveling from Padua, Italy July 25 to Switzerland (route undecided, can fly in from Venice or take the train from Padua) and leaving from Zurich Aug 3. Would love to spend time in Murren, but are otherwise open to suggestions. Would appreciate recommendations from seasoned travelers on how best to spend our 10 days in Switzerland celebrating our daughter's graduation and birthday.

Posted by
4614 posts

You will have a wonderful time in this beautiful area!
However, this summer is going to be very busy with post-COVID pent-up demand for European travel. Many here are reporting lodging prices increasing and availability decreasing rapidly. I'd suggest you plan an itinerary and book lodging asap.
I'd suggest you review the last few months of posts here on the Forum under the Switzerland section, where many of your questions have already been answered. I'd also suggest your reviewing the RS videos, and getting a RS guide book, where there's a suggested Swiss itinerary. In addition, look at the itinerary that RS uses on his own tours.
At this point, we have no idea what your family's likes , needs, budget, travel style, or interests are.
We may be able to help more once you have more specific questions.
Safe travels.

Posted by
827 posts

I agree with Pat and will add that you should research and book accommodations NOW. You are possibly unlikely to find any at this late date for Mürren. Bwst of luck!

Posted by
3 posts

I have seen the RS videos, itineraries, and forum posts. I have tentatively booked lodging, there are still options available. I am hoping for advice on a 10 day itinerary. Originally I was thinking we would fly into Zurich and make it a base for day trips to Bern, Luzern, and Appenzell. Then travel to Mürren for 2-3 nights.

After reviewing the forum I wondered if taking the train up from Milan to Lugano or Spiez would be a good option. Hoping to see/spend time in nature, hike, and explore local culture. Would appreciate replies from those who have made such a trip.

Posted by
16025 posts

Is your daughter graduating from a program at the university at Padua? We have been there (and in Bologna) when students have been celebrating graduation, with Laurel wreaths and sometimes costumes. If that is the case, you will want to allow time in Padua for her celebration in whatever form it takes.

As for getting to Switzerland and Mürren, here is my suggestion. Take the train from Padua to the lakeside town of Locarno in Switzerland. This is an easy journey of just over 4 hours, with a single change at Milano Centrale if you choose the relight departure. There are fast Frecce trains that depart Padua for Milano Centrale at 11:16 and 12:16, among others. Avoid routes with a change at Bologna, as that station can be very confusing, and it adds an additional transfer.

I suggest Locarno because it is (1) it is nice lakeside town with hotels very convenient to both the lakefront and the train station, and (2) this is where you catch the Treno Gottardo, one of the very few trains between Italy and Switzerland that goes (mostly) over the Alps instead of under them in a deep dark tunnel. There is still a short tunnel at the top, and a spiral tunnel before that, but otherwise the scenery is on view the whole ride, which includes switchbacks on the way down.

The 3-hour ride brings you to Luzern, another lovely lakeside town. You should spent 2 nights there so you have time to enjoy one of the mountain/lake excursions, either Rigi (our favorite) or Pilatus. Look these up for more information. There are numerous hikes available on Rigi.

From Luzern it is a scenic train ride over Brunig Pass to Interlaken, where you change to the local train to Lauterbrunnen to access Mürren.

Mürren is not yet fully booked for your timeframe. I checked on booking.com for a 4-night stay beginning Sunday, July 30 (on the theory that a Sunday start will have more availability than Saturday night). I used 4 nights in case you chose to stay that long, but the same hotels will work if you want only three.

Not all hotels have triple rooms, so in some you would need 2 rooms, which nearly doubles the price. But there were some triples, as well as apartments, available. A few examples to give you an idea of prices based on accommodation type:

Triple with shared bath at the Sportchalet, $842

2 rooms at Hotel Alpina ( no view), $1187

2 superior rooms at Hotel Edelweiss ( with view?). $2093

3-bedroom apartment at Hotel Jungfrau, $1726 ( I like this location, in the upper village, but the apartment may not have a view)

Apartment Chalet Traümli, private rental, $1277

I am posting a link to the latter as it may only be available through booking.com, AirBnB, etc. For the others, you will want to go to the hotel’s own website to book.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/chalet-traumli-murren.html?aid=304142&label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggI46AdIM1gEaLQCiAEBmAExuAEHyAEN2AEB6AEB-AECiAIBqAIDuALZ_eagBsACAdICJDQ3ODIzYmMzLTYxZDMtNDc2My05YTkwLTNlOWU3M2QyOGFkN9gCBeACAQ&sid=0d817999766c558ca2df231f514fce5b&all_sr_blocks=648655101_347361753_3_0_0;checkin=2023-07-30;checkout=2023-08-03;dest_id=-2553282;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=3;group_children=0;hapos=9;highlighted_blocks=648655101_347361753_3_0_0;hpos=9;matching_block_id=648655101_347361753_3_0_0;no_rooms=1;req_adults=3;req_children=0;room1=A%2CA%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=popularity;sr_pri_blocks=648655101_347361753_3_0_0__118400;srepoch=1679408961;srpvid=c7f965d3456e0282;type=total;ucfs=1&#hotelTmpl

If you still cannot find anything suitable in Mürren, try Wengen.

This is a start; people can help you fill in the rest of the time once you get the journey and accommodations in Mürren sorted out.

Edit: Insee the booking.com link is not “live”. Here is the same apartment listed on VRBO.

https://www.vrbo.com/1621194ha

Posted by
16025 posts

Definitely take the train. Flying to Zurich will take longer and be more expensive, and Zurich is a large bustling city with expensive hotels ( even for Switzerland); not a good “base” for visiting other places.

I prefer Locarno on Lago Maggiore to Lugano for taking the train over the Gotthard Pass to Luzern, in part because there are nice lakefront hotels right close to the train station for convenience. And they seem more moderately priced than similar hotels in Lugano. The two I have considered in Locarno are Hotel Palma au Lac and Hotel Geranio au Lac. I have made bookings at both at various times, but had to either cancel or alter the trip so we haven’t made it there yet.

With 2 nights at Locarno, you could explore the beautiful Val Verzasca, with the famed Ponti di Salti bridge and the river offering beautiful swimming (assuming there is not another drought next summer).

https://www.verzasca.ch/en/

A hiking trail runs the length of the valley; you can take the Swiss Postbus from the train station ingot he valley, get off at the Salti bridge and hike a section then catch another bus back. Or ride the bus to the end at the charming stone village of Sonogno to explore.

https://www.ascona-locarno.com/en/explore/valle-verzasca/sonogno

Italian is the first language in this part of Switzerland, so your daughter will be very comfortable here, easing her way into the German-language area.

Posted by
4614 posts

Bern would work well for a night or two at the conclusion of your trip , as it's an hour from Interlaken, (coming down from Murren, ) and just over an hour to the Zurich airport. Unless you have an early flight, there's no need to be in Zurich the night before. The very efficient, dependable Swiss train system will easily get you to the airport.

I agree that a few nights in Lucerne is time well spent. A beautiful boat ride to the cogwheel train to Mt. Rigi is a delightful half-day outing. There's also Mt Pilatus, and the open air Cabrio cable car to Mt Stanserhorn for a sunset.

Have a wonderful time is this absolutely beautiful country .

Posted by
3 posts

@Lola thank you so much for the information! Yes, our daughter is graduating from University of Padua. We are working on learning the raunchy song that is sung to graduates and look forward to spending some time there before we head to Switzerland.