Please sign in to post.

Itinerary advice for July 2022

Hi all,

This is my first post...please be kind! :)

My friend and I wore out Europe Through the Back Door when we backpacked in the summer of 1990. Thanks to that book, I fell in love with the Alps and especially Gimmelwald. My son is now getting ready to head off to college, so--Covid willing--he and my wife and I are heading to Switzerland for eight-ish days (7/6 through 7/14) for our big family trip. Of course, I picked up Rick's Switzerland book and have put together a rough itinerary and would be grateful for any advice/thoughts/tips/admonishment.

A few notes about us:

• My son is not big on museums, so we've picked out just a couple that we'd like to visit.

• We look forward to some light-to-moderate hiking in the Lauterbrunnen Valley and are trying to leave at least a little flex time to account for weather. I know a lot of people prefer staying in Mürren instead of Gimmelwald, but we're pretty set on staying in Gimmelwald for three nights.

• My thought was to take a train to Lausanne/Gruyeres when we land and then make our way east back towards Zurich. Maybe there's a reason not to do that?

• My son doesn't really enjoy fine dining, so we're thinking of trying to do picnics/cafeterias as much as we can, with a few decent dinners thrown in. But we're not really going out of our way for any specific foods other than some chocolate!

• In general, we're looking to stay either in booking.com apartments and/or clean, decent but not too-expensive hotels.

Again, thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Itinerary:

7/6 - Wednesday Fly into Zurich, take train to Lausanne/Gruyeres area
Rest, walk around Lausanne, stay in Lausanne?

7/7- Thursday l’Art de Brut (we think we'll skip Chateau de Chillon), to Gruyeres for Giger Museum, stay in Gruyeres?

7/8- Friday take Golden Pass from Montreux to Zweisimmen
or Luzerne to get to Lauterbrunnen Valley? Stay in Mürren for 1 night?

7/9- Saturday Lauterbrunnen Valley–Kleine Scheidegg hike, parasailing, Schilthorn, relax for three/four days

7/10- Sunday

7/11- Monday

7/12- Tuesday train to Luzerne

7/13- Wednesday Mt. Pilatus (including luge/ropes courses)

7/14- Thursday Train to Zurich Airport, fly home

My big questions are:

• I like the idea of heading to the west as we get off the plane. We can relax and rest on the train and start our trip in Lausanne. But if there's a reason to stay east and work our way west, please let me know. Are we leaving enough time in Lausanne/Gruyeres area? I can add a night but am trying to maximize time in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Should we base in Lausanne or Gruyeres or do one night in each? We'll need to get to Montreux to get the Golden Pass...

• If we're heading towards Interlaken to get up to the Alps, would we be better off taking the Golden Pass to Zweisimmen or continue to Luzerne?

• We'd like to do Mt. Pilatus, but aren't sure if we'd need more time in the Luzerne area. I think I've left us enough time...

I know this is a long post, so thanks so much for reading.

Cheers!
Mike

Posted by
6893 posts

Hi!

• unless Lausanne is a must for you, I would stay in Gruyères for 2 nights. The area is cute (and don't forget the chocolate factory in Broc: it is a fun visit!). There is no need to go back to Montreux for the Golden Pass railway: you can take that train in Montbovon, which is much closer.

• I would not split my bases in the Lauterbrunnen area. Pick one of the villages, and stay there for the whole duration.

• I do not understand the question about Interlaken / Luzern. You can take the first half of the Golden Pass from the Montreux area to Interlaken, then on to Lauterbrunnen. And when you leave Lauterbrunnen, you can take the second half from Interlaken to Luzern.

• 2 nights in Luzern look OK to me, you will have the first afternoon to visit Luzern itself and the next day for Mt Pilatus.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks for the reply, Balso. I didn't realize that the Golden Pass went right to Interlaken, so we'll go as you described. And hopefully get to the chocolate factory as well!

Thanks again!
Mike

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Mike,
I am planning an 8 days on the ground trip with my 19 year old son in June as well. I was going to do another itinerary but I like the sound of yours much better as I really wanted to include Gruyeres.
couple questions:
What train passes are you buying for this itinerary?
Is Grimmelwald convenient for the activities that you plan on doing?
I'd love to pick your brain some more as I'm a bit overwhelmed. Are you on FB or could I email you?
Thanks,
Kate
(Sarasota & Cape Cod)

Posted by
14 posts

What a great, detailed report! Thanks, Pat. Our 4 nights in the BO region are in Gimmelwald (I wanted the peacefulness and will happily walk up to Murren for any needs). We'll be doing the Schilthorn and--weather permitting--will aim to do it on the weekday part of our stay.

I had never heard about Stanserhorn, so might see if I can work that in during our Lucerne leg.