Please sign in to post.

Itinerary

We are traveling to Switzerland This August and September (arriving 8/28/23 and leaving either 9/15 or 9/16). We are traveling from Milan to Zermatt on 8/29 staying there for 5 nights and going to Murren for 3 nights and then to Wengen for 5 nights and then to Lucerne for 3 nights and then either Zurich or Milan depending which way we fly home for 1 or 2 nights. We plan on doing a lot of day trips also going to lots of Mountain tops. Is this itinerary look ok? Also is the Swiss Train Pass the best pass to get for this trip? Thank you for your help!

Posted by
6888 posts

Hi,
2.5 weeks in Switzerland, lucky you!

Some people think that 5 nights in Zermatt is a bit long. I don't think it necessarily is too long, because there are lots of hikes. But it is true that there are basically no good day trips out of Zermatt due to its remoteness. Perhaps 4 nights is enough.

3 nights Mürren + 5 nights Wengen feels redundant to me. The area is wonderful, but the 5 nights in Wengen are enough to explore it.
Instead of Mürren, I would spend 3 nights around Montreux. The eastern part of Lake Geneva is beautiful, with the vineyards of Lavaux, Chillon Castle, the lakeside promenade in Montreux, the Rochers de Naye railway... It also provides an insight into a different, French-speaking part of the country.

3 nights in Lucerne is perfect!

If you fly back home from Milan, I would suggest using the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lucerne to Lugano and stopping 2 nights in Lugano on your way to Milan (so you'd need to shorten your stay in Zermatt), before a final night close to the airport. That way you get a taste of the Italian lakes.

If you fly back home from Zürich, 1 night there is enough. It's not even necessary to stay there if your flight home is later than 10 AM or so: early trains from Lucerne would work out.

Posted by
8438 posts

I think if you're not going to actually spend time in Milan or see anything somewhere in Italy, you might as well fly in and out of Zurich. The time saving would be worth it.

Posted by
4690 posts

Note the various Swiss Travel pass sale starts April 15.
Safe travels!

Posted by
4 posts

We have changed our Itinerary to the following: we are flying in and out of Milan and have modified our itinerary a bit:

Milan - 1 night
Zermatt - 4 nights
Murren - 2 nights
Wengen - 5 nights
Lucern - 3 nights
Appenzell - 1 night
Lugano - 2 nights

Planning on lots of mountain trips, day trips and boat trips. We have already been to Lusanne years ago ( only place we have been in Switzerland) not interested in big cities. Planning on using the 15 day Swiss travel pass but not starting it till day 3 and that should get us to Lugano. I know Murren and Wengen are close to the same but husband wants to stay a couple of nights in Murren and the rest in Wengen. Still struggling with the train passes, cable cars and mountain trips. Planning on seeing has much as we can, any help is appreciated.

Posted by
6888 posts

I would take one night from Zermatt and one night from Wengen and spend 3 nights in Appenzell. Or at least 2. Not worth going there for just one night.
Otherwise it looks good to me.
Regarding Wengen vs. Mürren: you can see Wengen from Mürren. It really is that close. Not sure it is worth the hassle of changing hotels and being without a room for a few hours. But it is a minor detail.

Posted by
856 posts

My only suggestion would be to either skip Lugano entirely or perhaps just do an overnight and give the extra time to Milan, either upon arrival or departure. I am always mystified why folks on the various RS forums give Milan so much stick. There is so much to see there and so easy to get around.