Please sign in to post.

Interlaken to Gimmelwald

We will be visiting Switzerland this May and I have a quick question. We are hoping to buy some groceries in Interlaken before we head up to Gimmelwald. Is there a store close to the Ost station? And is there a website with this type of information?

Posted by
1443 posts

The Coop in Lauterbrunnen or Murren will be more convenient if you are heading to Gimmelwald. Less time for perishables to spoil before you get to your place in Gimmelwald.

Posted by
768 posts

There is a HUGE Coop store directly across the street from the Interlaken Ost train station. It has everything you can think of, and more, including clothes, hardware, and a restaurant.
The Coop stores in Murren or Lauterbrunnen (no grocery stores in Gimmelwald) are OK, but less than 1/20th the size.

Posted by
11322 posts

Definitely stop at the COOP at Interlaken Ost. The one in Lauterbrunnen has limited hours including complete closure on Sundays and lunchtime. There is a little cafe/deli/bakery/convenience store in Lauterbrunnen as well, but limited product and again, limited hours. Good bread, though.

Posted by
11294 posts

The Coop in Interlaken is definitely much larger, but I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of stock at the Coop in Lauterbrunnen. The one in Mürren is smaller than the one in Lauterbrunnen, but both of these get the job done.

I don't know about the Coop hours in Interlaken, but the one in Grindelwald (not Gimmelwald, which as you've been told has no grocery at all) was, to my surprise, open Sundays.

Coop website (in German, but you can put in town names to get stores and hours): http://www.coop.ch/de/services/standorte-und-oeffnungszeiten.html

Posted by
7209 posts

Or you could just stay in Murren, and easily walk to the Coop when you need groceries. You could also walk or take the gondola down to Gimmelwald to visit. Gimmelwald is a nice little village rather frozen in time and doesn't provide much in the way of creature comforts or activities...it's a sleepy little farming village. Murren sits just above Gimmelwald and has chalets, hotels, grocery stores and a few retail shops in addition to a sports complex with pool and hot tub.

Posted by
36 posts

We definitely plan on visiting Murren but we are excited to stay in Gimmelwald. Thanks

Posted by
7209 posts

Be sure to come back and tell us about your stay in Gimmelwald. I'm definitely interested to hear your first-hand comparison of Gimmelwald and Murren.

Posted by
36 posts

Well we have returned from our three week trip to Europe and Gimmelwald was definitely the highlight. Absolutely beautiful location! We stayed at Esther's Guesthouse and have only great things to say! We rented apartment B which has a terrace and the view was incredible. People were all very friendly. One thing to note is that the hostel in Gimmelwald no longer serves food of any kind. They will sell you very limited groceries but the only place to get a meal in Gimmelwald was at Pension Gimmelwald which didn't open for the season until the day before we left. It's really no issue though as you can take the gondola up to Murren! If you ever have the opportunity to visit Gimmelwald please do! You will not be disappointed. Thank you all for your help and information.

Posted by
451 posts

I agree with the others. We stayed in Gimmelwald and stopped at Interlaken Ost for groceries. We cooked meals months ahead of leaving to figure out our menu and then shopped for that. But the Cheese for the fondue was amazing! Restaurants are stupid expensive except if you grab a sandwich for lunch.