Please sign in to post.


I will be living in Switzerland for three months. During that time, I might be driving a friend’s car. I’m trying to figure out how to get some insurance to cover me/the car while I’m driving it. I’ve found a lot of information on car rental insurance, but can’t find any insurance for this situation. Anyone know of anything?

Posted by
1034 posts

Perhaps you could get some info on adding an additional temporary driver from your friend’s Insurance company.

Posted by
6876 posts

Car insurance comes with the car, not the driver, in both the U.S. and Europe. Doubtful if there are any alternatives.

Posted by
8889 posts

I assume this is a Swiss car. In which case it needs Swiss insurance.
Easiest option is to get your friend to add you to the car's insurance as an "authorised driver". If (s)he is prepared to lend you the car, (s)he is presumably aware of this problem and has a solution.

Edit: "living in Switzerland for three months" - pedantic technical point - unless you have a residence permit, or are an EU/Schengen citizen, you are limited to 90 days in any 180 in the Schengen Area, including Switzerland. That is a 1-2 days less than 3 months.