Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Lucerne

Not familiar with the the layout of the city.
Looking for a reasonable hotel but not sure what part of the city to choose.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Like, should we stay close to the central part of town or by the lake or the edge of town? Just don’t want to pick a hotel and then realize gosh, wish we would have been...??? Thank you! 🙏🏻

Posted by
6875 posts

The city is extremely compact. Lakefront, train station, city center are all within a 10-minute walk from each other.
What's "reasonable" in USD? A couple years ago I had an enjoyable stay at Hotel Stern, which is on the lower end (2-star) - no AC, though.

Posted by
8340 posts

I also stayed at the Hotel des Alpes. I stayed here pre-tour and then during the first part of a tour. It was a bit of a splurge for me, but it was a splurge that was worth it do the view and location. I think that if you pick any hotel that is near the train station, you will find the location to be fairly convenient.

Posted by
1399 posts

Lucerne’s really, really small for a city, with a population of 82K. The Pickwick Hotel in the Altstadt has small riverview rooms at a good price. Booking.com show locations of the hotels with a map that also shows prices of the hotels.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you all so much! 🙌🏻

Any cheese/chocolate making opportunities nearby?

Posted by
32699 posts

There used to be a Schaukäserei in Canton Schwyz.

A very brief google didn't find it though

Posted by
14939 posts

I have stayed at the Ameron Luzern Hotel Flora twice.

It's a 5 minute walk from the train station and one block to the wooden bridge. Old town is just on the other side of the wooden bridge.

Posted by
32198 posts

I've stayed at Hotel Stern several times and would certainly recommend it - https://www.sternluzern.ch/en . It's an easy walk from the station and the room was clean and comfortable. As I recall, they didn't have air conditioning but provided a fan and that worked for me. You might also want to have a look at the RS Switzerland guidebook to see the current hotel recommendations.

As with anything in Switzerland, be sure to bring lots of money as it's expensive!

Posted by
121 posts

Just 2 days ago we were staying at the Hotel des Alps in Lucerne . It’s extremely convenient and is right on the river, across from the Chapel Bridge. While I booked balcony rooms everywhere we stayed, for some reason I didn’t book one here and that was a big mistake. If you stay there, book a river view room, if not a balcony.

As the previous poster said, whatever you have budgeted for food increase it - Switzerland is very expensive.