Please sign in to post.

Hotel recommendations

Hi…
Travel to Bern in June …looking for hotel recommendations…it would be nice to be near train station…
Also hotel recommendations for Chur in June…near Bernini Express train station…
Thank you !

Posted by
32212 posts

I can't offer any suggestions for a hotel in Bern, as it looks like the hotel I used has permanently closed. There should be some good listings in the RS Switzerland guidebook.

Although it's not in the immediate vicinity of the train station, I would highly recommend https://www.freieck.ch/en/Welcome . When you arrive in Chur, take a taxi to the hotel as it's not far. You might want to book two nights in Chur. You'll arrive in the afternoon so one night won't give you much time to look around this historic old city. The hotel is in a good location next to the old town, so there's lots of restaurants and shops in the area.

One hint about Chur though.... you might want to brush up on your German language skills! English didn't seem to be as common there as in other locations in Switzerland. I had some interesting experiences during my visit, but managed to get by with limited Italian.

Posted by
1036 posts

Ditto Hotel Freieck in Chur. On a pleasant leafy square. It is about a 10 minute walk to the station, downhill from hotel to station, via the city's main drag of restaurants and shops.

Posted by
15011 posts

For Bern, I stayed at the Best Western Plus Hotel Bern. It's about 5 minutes walk from the train station. Very nice. In the heart of the old town.

For Chur, I stayed at the Hotel Post Chur. Basic but clean. A 5 minute walk to the train station. This was just a quick overnight between the Glacier Express and Bernini Express.

Posted by
647 posts

Last fall we stayed at the Romantik Hotel Stern for one night while on tour with Road Scholar. It was a short, easy walk to and from the train station, where we boarded the Glacier Express.
https://www.stern-chur.ch/home-en.html
I don't remember much of the hotel; rooms were okay; included breakfast, very minimal, but might have been due to COVID.
Ken mentioned possibly staying two nights. I would have liked to spend more time there. There seemed to be more to the town than the couple of paragraphs mentioned in the RS' Switzerland guidebook.

Posted by
4706 posts

We liked the Hotel Savoy in Bern, about a block from the train station, very close to the underground stairs into the train station, by the Burger King [with the 17chf whoppers]. Also down the street from a Coop City store with three floors.
The hotel is very modern, with the best rain shower I've ever used, strong wifi, plus breakfast. The staff were great, the price moderate, and the hotel is listed on many credit card reward points plans.
Safe travels!

Posted by
4706 posts

PS Would you consider staying in Pontresina instead of Chur? It's a charming mountain town.