Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Geneva

We only have one day and a night in Geneva. Does anyone have suggestions on an inexpensive yet nice hotel to stay at? Also what should be go see tourist wise with this short time frame? We have to get to the airport the next day for a 1 pm flight, Thanks !

Posted by
5579 posts

If you are interested in physics, CERN has an incredible tour. If its the same as when we went, you need to sign up for the tour, pretty much exactly 14 days in advance, but please check their website. We also enjoyed going to the UN site and walking around the water front for a short time. We weren't successful at finding an inexpensive place to stay and we stayed in a hostel. Its an expensive city, but prices vary depending on what else is going on.

Posted by
7209 posts

There’s no such thing as an inexpensive hotel in Geneva...at least not one you’d want to sleep in.

Posted by
3992 posts

Not true from our experience when we have visited in September and March. We have stayed at an Ibis near the Manor department store, the Hotel Pax, and the Holiday Inn Express.

Posted by
3551 posts

We stayed at the airport area with Ibis budget hotel. It worked out well and had an available airport shuttle. We used city bus to get to the central Geneva and also used city bus to get to CERN to take the fabulous tour of the research facility about 15 min from our hotel.
We were pleased and all the activities we could do easily by bus and stay close to airport for our departure at reasonable lodging rate.

Posted by
7209 posts

When you say "Hotel in Geneva" do you mean downtown Geneva? Old City Geneva? Airport Geneva? Suburbs Geneva? Those are all different places and all different price ranges. The closer to city center the more expensive the hotels. Airport is definitely cheaper because, well, the sights you came to see are NOT at the airport.

Posted by
768 posts

If you don't mind a dorm-like atmosphere, www.cityhostel.ch is cheap. They have rooms for 2, 3, or many. It is 3 blocks from the main train station called Cornavin. Train from there to the airport is 5 min.

Posted by
5579 posts

We stayed at city hostel. It was fine.I might even say, really good for what it was. Clean, nice staff, included a basic breakfast. Convenient location. We stayed in a 6 person room. I don't recall a 3 person room, but they may have been sold out. I was with my two adult daughters, for me, it would have been nice to have been with fewer people, but given there were 3 of us, it didn't work. My daughters say they would definitely do it again, and I would, especially if I could get a room with fewer people. It was inexpensive which is what I was looking for and I also wanted the girls to give the hostels a try since they were college students. I'd rather stay at a place like City hostel than a hotel that isn't clean or in a bad location.