Please sign in to post.

Home Base

Hi all
We are traveling to Switzerland in December. 4 of us traveling. One companion wants to do Montreux for sure. We will stay there 2 nights. Other than that, what would you suggest as a good “home base?” I was hoping to hop around, but have a feeling hauling luggage with be cumbersome for our party. So I feel like having a home base is a better option and then doing day trips from there. My initial thought was Bern, but looking for other opinions as I don’t want to miss out! We haven’t booked flights yet so we can be flexible with our plans. Thank you in advance!

We will be in Switzerland for 10 days total. Nov 29-Dec9 tentatively planning for. We Prefer sightseeing, possibly light hiking but not sure about that time of year. Certainly not skiers. Photo ops, foodies, etc.

Posted by
4434 posts

It would partly depend on my flight options.
I would certainly include Lucerne in that trip--I bet it is wonderful as Christmas time approaches. I think Bern at that time of year would be great too.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you! I think we will fly into Geneva and then spend 2 nights in Montreaux. But we are open to other options. My gut reaction was Bern as a home base, but not sure if Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen would be better. I wanted to see Matterhorn, but it seems to be a bit to far out of the way.

Posted by
4434 posts

You could technically go to Zermatt from Montreux, just depends on your tolerance for long day trips--some recommend it, others don't. I'm more of a move-bases versus long day trips person. But you should keep reading and make a list of places you want to see first, then settle on the best base. You can visit Bern from Lucerne and other places as well.
Are you looking to have two or three bases in total? I assume you'll need to be near an airport last. Lucerne is convenient for flying out of Zurich as long as your flight is not early.

Posted by
2682 posts

Zermatt is super easy to get to from Montreux. The scenery from the train is fabulous. So, I consider that part of the adventure and not wasted time traveling 2.5 hour each way. If you can increase your time in Montreux, you’ll have better odds for having at least one good weather day for Zermatt.

I would not want to have Bern as a base. I’m in the minority, but I was disappointed in Bern.

I have my trip reports posted from my recent trips to Switzerland. Just click on my name. I was not there in the winter though, so not sure if they’ll be too much help.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you Carrie! I thought Bern seemed logical, but questioned it when there aren’t a lot of reviews of having Bern as a base so your input is a good confirmation. I look forward to checking out your posts!

Posted by
8464 posts

Bern is a nice enough city, but it's not in the mountains! Mountains is what you go to Switzerland to see. Interlaken is at the foot of the mountains, but it's not in the mountains. It's a good logistics base for sports, but not in itself scenic. Lauterbrunnen is IN the mountains, and yes makes much more sense. Lots to see and do in the Valley there, and it will save time to access the best sights.

The other good alternative for a base is Luzern. But that's a whole different story.

Posted by
486 posts

Based on your dates, I would say that Interlaken is better than Lauterbrunnen. I am one who is a fan of Bern and think that could be a good location as well.

In November a lot of things are closed, especially in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. They start up again in December, but perhaps more to the middle and even end of December.

If you are completely open to a change of dates, I would suggest early - middle of October. Otherwise, not to worry - there will still be a lot to see and do, it will just take a bit more effort to find out what is open at that time.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for the suggestions! Our reasoning for going in December is for the Christmas markets. Well, and all the other fun things Switzerland has to offer, but the Christmas market in Montreux is what is attracting us!

We will certainly do a day trip in Bern. What do you suggest as a must see?

Posted by
4770 posts

Most folks fly in and out of Zurich, as the Swiss train system is so incredible. We did Xmas markets in 2019, and found the Swiss markets very nice, but not as elaborate as the German or French markets in Strasbourg/ Colmar, which are incredible. If you stayed in Basel, you are an hour plus from Strasbourg, and I consider this a not-to-be missed market. I've never seen any reviews of the Montreaux markets,so can't comment on that. The Bern markets are very nice, especially the market two blocks from the train station,( as you exit the main entrance, just walk straight.)
Zurich has the largest European indoor market, located in the main train station. We had our first smell of gluhwein there, the delicious warm Xmas market wine, which varies from region.
Altho the markets are much smaller, we did go to picturesque Lucerne, then took the boat to the cogwheel train up to Mt Rigi, and had the most beautiful fresh powdery snow summit experience.
Since the Swiss markets are smaller, check the dates they are open. Some open later (Lucerne) or are only open on weekends. The Bern and Basel markets are open daily.
Really hope you can get to Strasbourg/ Colmar markets, as the elaborate decorations took my breath away.
Safe travels!
Have a wonderful trip- the markets are magical.

Posted by
486 posts

Our reasoning for going in December is for the Christmas markets

Awesome! That will be a lot of fun!

Rick's 'Heart of Bern Walk' in the guide book hits all the great locations. If I am taking photos I usually go up to the Rose Garden (bus from train station) and start there. Great city views. Then I walk down to the Bärenplatz, from there you can follow Rick's suggested tour.

Bern has some great Christmas Markets as well, my favourite is the Star Market

https://www.bern.com/en/christmas/highlights