Please sign in to post.

Hiking Poles

Can you bring hiking poles in your carry on. Not planning on checking any luggage. Thank you.

Posted by
6788 posts

Or you can just shove your hiking poles in a big plastic bag and wrap that in five pounds of duct tape, put a name tag on it, and check that as a checked "bag." Odds are, it'll get there along with you, and you will not spend the traveler's afterlife in the hot, sulfurous place.

Posted by
201 posts

We are going to risk our poles in one carryon. If refused, we will then check that bag. TSA has not stopped us in the past, most recently in September 2021, though that isn't to say it won't happen when we fly out of CLE in August. Another tip I've heard is to go through security using a single hiking pole as a cane.

Posted by
8449 posts

take off the sharp pointy tips. replace with the rubber feet. I've traveled with a collapsible walking stick (legit bad knee) with no issues, but I will show them to the TSA agent at check-in and ask if OK. Two might be a problem as more obviously sporting equipment. Mine is a cheap one and I can afford to leave it behind if challenged.

Posted by
4412 posts

this comes up pretty often, did you do a forum search?

Posted by
8389 posts

It is totally fine to ask your question. You did not have to do a forum search first. Anyone who doesn't want to answer can simply move on.......

I hope you have a wonderful trip.