Please sign in to post.

Hiking in Murren

We’ll be in Murren for 2 days at the end of this month primarily for hiking. It’s part of a larger trip and so I’m trying to pack thoughtfully, the rest of the trip will be in cities.
Are hiking shoes a necessity? Rainjackets?
Thanks!

Posted by
4706 posts

Most Murren hikes just require comfortable walking shoes. Rain wear always needs to be in the daypack for any mountain area exploration.
Enjoy this remarkably beautiful area.
Safe travels!

Posted by
64 posts

Hiking shoes are required if you are doing the Via Ferratta.

Posted by
427 posts

It depends on how much ankle support you want/need. I was fine hiking in running shoes. Last time we were there (for 5 days) I needed my jacket twice (once for warmth, once for rain) and I was glad to have it.

Posted by
11 posts

I really don't like hiking without hiking boots, so I packed mine for the trails in that area. I wouldn't say that they are a necessity, but I was happier on the trails wearing them. Jackets are a necessity. I carried both a fleece and rain jacket.

Posted by
4000 posts

I can’t speak for others but I needed my hiking boots on the trails from/to Mürren.

Posted by
62 posts

I went with Salomon trail running shoes and they worked out great. Whatever rain gear you’re taking for your trip should suffice, I would at least suggest having some kind of water resistant layer.

Posted by
485 posts

Here’s the thing - hiking trails have a huge range in difficulty and also in the kind of gear you need. There has been a big initiative on in Switzerland the past few years to help people become aware of this.

The good thing is that trails are clearly marked. Anything with white/red/white stripes (at the directional end of the yellow signs, or painted on rocks) require proper hiking footwear as well as having a good level of physical fitness, no problems with vertigo and being able to balance on one foot when needed.

Take self test here: (simply translate page, it’s worth it!)

https://sicher-bergwandern.ch/de/selbsttest

Some of the popular routes in the area are simply listed as scenic walks (vs hikes) on the tourist websites, you can’t compare being able to do these in street shoes with going on some of the other hikes in the area.

Here’s a good post on understanding hiking markers:

https://www.ybibasel.ch/post/how-to-read-swiss-trail-markers

Here are hiking recommendations from the Swiss Alpine Club

https://www.sac-cas.ch/en/training-and-safety/safety/safety-when-hiking/

Choose routes that match your ability and proper footwear for those routes and you’ll set yourself up for great experiences!

Posted by
12 posts

See the reviews I just posted. You absolutely need hiking shoes, rain jackets and poles. The hikes are far more difficult and technical than described in the book. We are both in great shape and they were difficult for us both physically and due to the elevation. You will be fine if in decent shape but there were quite a lot of folks hiking with both the wrong footwear and just not ready to do something like this physically. There is an outfitter in Murren if you forget anything but you will pay through the nose.

Posted by
755 posts

I agree with dpmunroe. But if you want to do something easier (still a 3 hour but not technical hike) that doesn’t necessarily require the boots but sturdy shoes, go over to Wengen take tram up higher and hike to Klein Scheidegg and then take the train back to Lauterbrannun. It’s a beautiful open hike with views, great place for lunch and nice train ride back. A group of us did this with our RS tour guide. The next day we did a more technical hike above Wengen. Big difference!