Please sign in to post.

Help with July 2016 Itinerary - our first time in Switzerland

Would love some help / opinions on an itinerary for our first trip to Switzerland in mid- July 2016.

We are traveling with an elderly parent (in his 80s) and limited walking (walks with cane and up to 1/2 mile only). We are trying to figure out how to do it all but may have to compromise and skip certain things because we don't want to rush around. Is it possible to experience the city and culture, a music festival, the swiss alps and a quaint lake town in 8 days and yet still get a good sense of Switzerland without rushing around? Can you tell me what you think of the 2 itineraries?

Option 1
DAY 1 Geneva (city & culture) -- Arriving from New York in the morning
DAY 2 Geneva (city & culture)
DAY 3 Geneva (city & culture)
DAY 4 Gstaad - for Menuhin Music Festival
DAY 5 Gstaad - for Menuhin Music Festival
DAY 6 Lucerne (lake town experience)
DAY 7 Lucerne - possible trip to Murren from Lucerne
DAY 8 Lucerne (lake town experience)

Unfortunately, with option 1, we would miss a true Swiss Alps village experience except for a day trip to Murren from Lucerne if its not too long. Again, we would be traveling with an elderly parent with limited mobility so we don't want to overdo it.

Option 2

DAY 1 Geneva (arrive from New York City in the morning)
DAY 2 Geneva
DAY 3 Gstaad - music fesitval
DAY 4 Gstaad - music festival
DAY 5 Murren
DAY 6 Murren
DAY 7 Lucerne
DAY 8 Lucerne

Option 2 fits everything in but do you think that is too short amount of time in each place to really get a sense of the area? Should we cut down to 3 locations only? Any recommendations?

Thank you!
Rei

Posted by
16265 posts

This is difficult because you must strike a balance between keeping things easy/reasonable and seeing what you want to see. And experiencing what is best about Switzerland---which in my mind is the mountains and views.

Geneva is to me a big city with more international/business character than Swiss. So I much prefer version 2. Gstaad is a nice small town, expensive but you can find reasonable lodging. We were there for the Swiss Open ( tennis) 8 years ago and enjoyed our stay at Posthotel Rössli. it is on the border between French-and German-speaking areas so interesting, but "thank you" is always Merci.

Mürren is a treat and will get you up into the mountains and beautiful views without challenging your Dad's mobility or endurance too much. Pick a lodging along the main street which is a level walk from the train station, not oneon the upper road. Unfortunately this will rule out Hotel Bellevue but there are other good choices. If your budget is tight look at the ground floor apartment at Chalet Fontana.

In Luzern a boat cruise might be a highlight. Hotel Waldstätterhof, close to the train station, might be a good option.

Posted by
60 posts

I'd much favor option 2 over option 1. Lucerne-Mürren is about 3 hours by public transport or about 1 hour by car. So unless you've got wheels a day trip from Lucerne is questionable in my opinion. Then again you're saying that you've got an elderly person with limited mobility. I don't know Mürren and how suited it would be for someone like that.

It's been ages since I've been to Geneva but a friend of mine grew up there and says it's nice. A quick google search suggests that there's definitely a selection of sights to take in but overall it's my impression that Lausanne would be the nicer place. Though that probably depends on what you're interested in.

Under option 1 you could easily substitute the day trip to Mürren with a trip on the Pilatus or Rigi maybe with a boat trip on lake Lucerne. And if you feel you've had enough of Geneva after two days you could make a stop in Lausanne on your way to Gstaad.

Posted by
32206 posts

Rei,

I agree with Lola's comments regarding Geneva and therefore my suggestion would also be Option 2. You could also consider taking a train direct from the airport to Lausanne which is a beautiful smaller city (the trip is only about 40 minutes from the airport). Lausanne is also slightly closer to Gstaad so that will make your onward journey a bit quicker.

The trip to Mürren is relatively easy so shouldn't be a problem for an "elderly parent with limited mobility" and it's mostly flat. Lucerne is also quite flat and easily walkable.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks all! Honestly we are really confused. Now we are looking at Wengen since the hotel (Hotel Schoenegg) look nicer instead of staying in Murren. Our hotel stay in murren (if they have availability would be Hotel Eiger). Do you know if Wengen is similar to Murren in terms of easy to walk around? (Some flat streets in main area of stores and restaurants?). Also, we will have a car for most of the trip and would probably park it in Lauterbrunnen if we go to Murren or Wengen for 2 days.

Thanks!

Posted by
32206 posts

Rei,

Given the fact that you'll be driving, you could also stay in Lauterbrunnen and take day trips to the other locations. It's the most central location to both sides of the valley, and some of the hotels will have parking. You could have a look at THIS hotel as they provide parking.

Wengen is larger than Mürren so I'm not sure it would provide easier walking. Some of the hotels are uphill from the rail station, and the distances will also be longer.