Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary

I could really use some help with my itinerary starting in Lyon and ending in Milan through Switzerland. I only have 6 days in May and must see Annecy, Jungfraujoch, a scenic Swiss train ride and Lake Como.

I need input on whether I should consider renting a car versus trains. I am aware of the one way fee but it seems that there is no luggage storage in Annecy and to get to Varenna from Lucerne I need to change trains in Milan.

This is what I am currently thinking:

• Day 1 (Sunday): arrive in Lyon and take the train to Annecy. Spend the night in Geneva. Alternatively I can skip Geneva and travel to Interlaken.

• Day 2: Travel from Geneva to Lauterbrunnen/Interlaken for Jungfraujoch. Is it possible to take the Golden Pass train from Interlaken to Lucerne?

Spend the night in Lucerne

• Day 3: Glacier Express day trip from Lucerne

• Day 4: Spend the day in Lucerne area

• Day 5: Travel from Lucerne to Varenna

• Day 6: Depart from Milan

Thanks!

Posted by
20194 posts

OK, time to rethink. Are you arriving by air at Lyon airport and from where?

This could happen, but rearrange your itinerary.

There is no day trip Glacier Express from Luzern. It goes between Zermatt and St Moritz, and you have to get to one of these points or intermediate spots on the route. If you want to get to Varenna by scenic train, travel Luzern to Chur to Tirano (Bernina Express and includes portions also covered by the Glacier Express) to Varenna.

Posted by
7892 posts

Relax after flying and then taking the train from Lyon by spending the night in Annecy that way you solve your luggage storage problem. Take the Flixbus from Annecy to Geneva it is a one hour ride and then rent the car or take the train to Interlaken

Posted by
2 posts

Dear all,
Thanks for your help so far, this hasn't been easy and here is where I currently got to and need help with Glacier Express and Bernina Express please.
- Day 1: Land in Lyon at 9:30am - rent a car from Lyon airport go to Annecy for a couple of hours then return the car at Geneva airport French side. Take train from Geneva airport to Montreaux.
- Day 2: Trip to Jungfraujoch from Montreaux to Interlaken on Golden Pass train and from Interlaken to Lucerne to spend the night.
- Day 3: Spend the day in Lucerne.
- Day 4: Need help on deciding between Glacier Express or Bernina Express daytrip from Lucerne. To help in my decision making, I need to know if it is possible to take a scenic route from Lucerne to Milan that would replace the Bernina Express? If yes, then I would take the Glacier Express daytrip.
- Day 5: Depart from Lucerne to Milan.
- Day 6: Spend the day in Milan and depart from Malpensa at 9pm.