Please sign in to post.

Help with itinerary

Hello-I am flying into Geneva the end of June with my 24yo daughter. We would like to visit Bern and the surrounding areas. We would like to do some hiking and enjoy the beauty of the Swiss alps. I am thinking having 2 home bases one in possibly Lauderbrunnen and 1 near Geneva. We will be there for 6 nights and then flying to Iceland. I am open to any suggestions you may have on location where to stay and to visit. I'm overwhelmed with all of areas to visit and really don't know where to start. All travel will be by train. Thank you for any help I can get.

Posted by
1443 posts

All the interesting towns on Lake Geneva can be reached easily by rail from Geneva in only an hour or two. Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux are popular home bases for exploring French Switzerland.

Lauterbrunnen is an excellent home base for the Berner Alps. Bern is an easy day-trip from there. Other great bases near Lauterbrunnen are Murren, Wengen, and Grindlewald.

What is your departure city?

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you for your reply. I don't know where to depart from. Any suggestions that may be in the area where I don't need to travel all day to get there? Thanks agai.

Posted by
27142 posts

If you'll be heading back to the US or Canada from Switzerland, from a financial standpoint you probably will find you don't have too many choices. For my area, Zurich is nearly always cheaper than Geneva. It may be different for those living elsewhere. Milan might be worth investigating, too.

Posted by
768 posts

First, 2 questions:
Why do you want to visit Bern? Specific things or as a base?
Second, what sort of "where to stay" are you looking for? 5 star hotels, apartments, hostels, camping?

In any case, I've lived in Geneva, and I've visited the Lauterbrunnen area more than a dozen times.
Here's what I would do with your time table:
I'll assume you come into Geneva mid-morning from the USA (the usual schedule). Upon leaving the luggage carousels, look for a machine by the exit door that will give you 80 min. of free bus transportation in the city. Your hotel or hostel will give you one for the whole day when you get there. I'd spend that afternoon seeing Geneva: Calvin's church, the chocolate stores, rent free bikes by the lake (look up "Geneve Roule"), maybe the Red Cross Museum, take a free boat/bus across the lake, visit the flower clock. Ok.

Now the next morning get up early and take the train to Lauterbrunnen. 4-5 nights there will beat Bern or Geneva any day. Thr train will go thru Bern (you could get out for a few hours to look around if you wish) then continue the trip to Interlaken Ost where you will find the smaller train that says "Lauterbrunnen" on the side of the car. Usually around track 1A and leaves every half hour but also timed to leave about 5 min after the Bern train arrives. The whole trip Geneva to Lauterbrunnen is about 3.5 hrs. All conductors and train ticket offices speak English.
You could stay in Lauterbrunnen, or Murren, or Grindelwald, or Wengen, but I prefer the first two. Here are the best trails for anyone and you don't even need hiking boots, tennis shoes will do:

Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg (save this for the clearest day, given the panoramic views, Google image "Mannlichen" and you'll see why I say that)
Grindelwald to First to Bachalpsee and back
Grindelwald to First to Grosse Scheidegg and down by bus
Grutschalp to Murren
Murren to Spielbodenalp via Sprutz Falls
Murren to Almendhubel to Schiltalp to Spielbodenalp to Murren
Lauterbrunnen along the valley floor to Trummelbach Falls (for a misty day, since the falls are inside)
The last 4 can be seen on this map (click to enlarge):
http://www.gimmelwald.com/pics/gimmelwald/hikemap.jpg
Expect a few rainy days, and mountain views often cloud up by afternoon, so start walks early. Nevertheless, you will not regret making your base right there in the Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald areas.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you for the help. I think I'll spend the first night in Geneva. Should I spend 2 nights in Geneva? I'll then head to Lauderbrunnen for my home base for 4 or 5 nights. Is there an airport other then heading back to Geneva that I can get a flight to. Iceland ? That's my next stop for a couple of days? Thanks again!

Posted by
768 posts

Geneva airport is 3.5 hrs from Lauterbrunnen.
I like Geneva, but I would never spend an extra night there at the expense of the Swiss Alps.
The scenery is so good that I keep taking the same trails year after year after year. But you have to get out of your lodgings and make good use of the cable cars and trains in the Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald area.
https://voyagista.com/2013/10/07/switzerland-hiking-bernese-oberland-top5/

Posted by
11 posts

Hi--someone suggested staying in Luzerne. Flying into Geneva, then stay in Lausanne for a night (or possibly 2). Then heading to Luzern for 4 nights. Does this make sense or should I stay in Lauterbrunnen? Interested in a little hiking and visiting quaint villages. At the end of our trip I will be flying to Iceland and may depart for Geneva or Zurich ( not sure ). Any help would be great! Thanks

Posted by
2 posts

Hi mom. We should just stay in Geneva for 1 night and then to lauterbrunnen and fly out of whatever airport is cheapest. Bern can be a day trip and same with Luzerne.