Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary

Hello we are a very active couple in our 50s interested in hiking, sightseeing, exploring. Generally like to stay off the beaten path (though agenda and time of year suggest otherwise) We will be traveling the first week of August. Landing in Zurich on 29 July and leaving on 5 August. Upon landing, we plan to train to Luzern, train to Berner-Oberland the morning of the 31st, to Bern the afternoon of the 3rd, then back to Zurich the day we fly back to the U.S. Any advice whether we should be considering another area of the country (thereby compressing some of the other areas we are considering). Also any advice on being in Switzerland generally on August 1st.

Posted by
1793 posts

Maybe skip Bern if you don't have a particular reason for wanting to go there? In one week Lucerne BO and Zurich are probably plenty.

Posted by
437 posts

Agreed - not enough time for Bern if you want to actually enjoy the areas you're going. Just do Lucerne & BO. Plenty to occupy you in those areas. Plus, what makes Switzerland special is it's nature & villages, not really it's cities.

August 1st is Swiss National Day so there will be village festivals, fireworks, etc. to enjoy. Depending on where you plan to stay in BO, I know Wengen will have live traditional music, etc. Enjoy!!

Posted by
201 posts

How fortunate you are in Switzerland on August 1!
We were in Villars on that special day for the festivities and parade of all the local residents and their beautifully flower-bedecked
cows and goats. My favorite "float" was the large barrel of wine surrounded by Swiss Miss(es) who were passing out cups of the contents to the bystanders!

Posted by
164 posts

I'll be there the exact same dates, flying in and out of Geneva, staying in Montreux. We did the same week four years ago, staying in Interlaken. August 1 was so fun, with us attending a street festival in Bern (I swam in the river while we were there!) and fireworks at night back in Interlaken. This year, we are buying Swiss flag t-shirts to wear and going to Geneva to enjoy the day's festivities.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for all the responses. They were all very helpful. Just to clarify, the consensus is to visit Lucerne, OB and Bern time permitting over the period of one week? If anyone has any hidden gems they have visited in these areas I’d love to hear it.

Posted by
6916 posts

If your flight to the US is later than 10.00, you can stay in Bern for your final night if you want. The train from Bern to Zürich airport is direct, leaves every half hour, and takes 1:15. A few hours is enough to get a good feeling about this lovely city. But if you end up missing Bern, it is not a huge loss either: it is a very attractive city but it does not have quite the same "postcard appeal" as Luzern.

Posted by
20178 posts

In which case I would say go straight to the Berner Oberland after you land in Zurich. Then hit Luzern on the way back. As Balso says, easy direct train from Luzern to Zurich airport in about 70 minutes if your flight is after 10:00 am.