Please sign in to post.

Help with 10-night itinerary?

My husband and I (60 y.o) are going to Switzerland for 10 nights late August/early Sept. and I could really use some help with our itinerary.
Day 1: land in Zurich, travel to Lucerne, visit Lucerne and stay the night
Day 2: To Stoos Ridge Hike and Mt. Pilatus, then back to Lucerne for the night
Day 3: To Wengen for 4 nights – see Kleine Scheindegg, Jungfraujochen, Interlaken, Harder Kulim, paragliding in Murren, Lauterbrunnen
Day 4, 5, 6: see above, staying in Wengen
Day 7: Train to Zermatt for two nights – see the Zermatt/Matterhorn/Gornergratt
Day 8: Zermatt
Day 9: Morning train to Montreux for one night
Day 10: early train To Zurich, check in at hotel, then on to Liechtenstein (husband just wants to say he’s been)
Day 11: 11AM flight back from Zurich
I’m worried that we won’t have time to make going to Liechtenstein worth it and am wondering if I should cut one night in Luzern or Wengen. But then, not sure how to do activities with luggage in tow (we did not plan to rent a car). Also, we won’t see Bern, and won’t have much time in Zurich (though big cities aren’t as interesting to us). I could change the order of things if it doesn't make sense. Any advice is welcome!

Posted by
5349 posts

I wouldn't cut Lucerne or Wengen.
First, you may not actually get to Lucerne as you planned, due to flight cancelations and delays. I have had international flights completely canceled, and didn't arrive until the day after. I always add an extra day at the beginning.
And-no one is ever ready to leave the Berner Oberland.
So- would you consider cutting the Zermatt portion of the trip? Or- add a day or two?
Don't know anything about L'stein.
I don't understand your concern about luggage- most train stations have luggage storage facilities.
I expect you'll enjoy the efficiency and dependability of Swiss trains, as you travel about this beautiful country. Safe travels!

Posted by
161 posts

I have been more lucky.
In 10 trips to Switzerland, I have never been so delayed.
Luzern is just 1.2 hours from Zurich airport.

Check swiss train schedules at sbb.ch/en to see representative travel times Zurich to Liechtenstein (I have no idea how long).

If you cut anything, why not the night in Montreux (you may need more time in Zermatt to obtain good weather for the Matterhorn), or Zermatt itself (if you luck in to good weather)?

Posted by
161 posts

A quick research finds travel times Zurich--> Vaduz, Liechtenstein at 1.5-3 hours, each way and by bus or train.

Check rome2rio.com for suggested travel and prices.
Because you go south of Zurich, through Rapperswil. I would stay my last TWO nights IN Rapperswil, rather than Zurich.
Zurich HB (main station) is just 25-30 minutes from Rapperswil and Rapperswil is a cute marina town (southern tip of Lake Zurich), with a cool town scape of castle (now a Polish museum), rose gardens, and Capuchin monastery.
That way, you'd already be closer to L'Stein, and minimally further from Zurich airport (Flughafen).
Give up that night from Montreux OR Zermatt, depending on weather.