Please sign in to post.

Have plans for June trip.....Advice?

Too early to make a decision, but I have plans for one year in place for a 3 week visit to Switzerland. Middle aged couple 45 and 60 years old. Would you stick with plans to go at this moment considering the developing situation?

Posted by
6536 posts

Hang in there for now. There's no idea what the status of the travel world will be by then. This subject is To Be Continued.

Posted by
1840 posts

I have a trip to Bavaria and Austria in mid-May. I'm patiently waiting for now to see how things evolve.

Posted by
8889 posts

Do you mean travelling in one year's time?
This is all changing very fast, from day-to-day (literally). Two months ago nobody had heard of this Coronavirus.
Two more disasters will have come and gone by then.

Posted by
2 posts

I am in the same boat. Three travel insurances and no one covers this. All but two hotels non-refundable.

Posted by
30888 posts

johnsain,

If I were planning a June trip to Europe, I'd be taking a "wait and watch" approach. At this point, no one knows how this situation is going to evolve or whether the medical authorities are going to be able to get this under control by then. Waiting should allow more clarity and if this does improve by early May, make a decision then and book on short notice.

A few points that will have a bearing on this.....

  • If the situation improves, it should be easier to get travel medical insurance (although insurance companies may still not cover Coronavirus as it's now a "known risk"). Insurance companies always tilt things in their favour.
  • The number of flights to Europe will probably be increasing, and airlines may be offering some incentives to get people back in the air. They're taking a tremendous financial hit during this crisis and it's going to take them a long time to recover.
  • Booking on short notice shouldn't be a problem, as there should still be lots of capacity open with hotels, etc. Once this crisis is over, I suspect it will take some time for travel and crowds to ramp up to pre-virus levels. Things will probably be a bit "quiet" in Europe until tourists get back "up-to-speed".

I've been revising my opinions almost daily, as new information becomes available. At the moment, this is the approach I'd take.

Posted by
1653 posts

To me it depends: is cancelling now much cheaper than cancelling in 2 months? If so, and if the cancellation cost is reasonable for you, then yes I would cancel. If not, there is no use.

Posted by
3115 posts

My trip is in 4 1/2 weeks. I will wait until one week prior and make a decision.

Posted by
4498 posts

June is definitely too far out to know. Things will be clearer about June in early May.

Posted by
430 posts

Wait to see how things play out. If you have non-refundable tickets and cancel you may lose your $$$. If the coronavirus shutdown continues and the airline cancels you or the governments won't let you travel then you may get your $$$ refunded. I'd check with your airline about this.

Posted by
231 posts

We have a June 4 trip to the Berner Oberland and I expect to have to cancel, but I will wait until later this month to start cancelling reservations.

Posted by
13 posts

I would continuously check your airlines app. I did not receive a cancellation email, but when I checked my app, the flight was cancelled. I was supposed to be flying into Zurich on May 23rd. A little premature cancellation on the airlines part, in my opinion, but what can you do when they cancel?!

Posted by
3115 posts

I should be leaving for Zürich from JFK tomorrow, April 15. I have been so eager about this trip for months and months.

I received an email from Delta 9 days prior that my flight itinerary was canceled. I called Delta a couple of days later, spoke with an agent rather quickly, and asked to be refunded. I was told it could take up to 15 business days. I then contacted Expedia to cancel my hotel reservation in Luzern as it was 100% refundable and was told it would take 30 days.

Posted by
1840 posts

I just got an e-mail today from Delta that my round trip itinerary to Munich for the Bavaria/Austria trip mentioned above was cancelled. The e-mail said not to worry because my e-credit was already being processed. I worried because I wanted a refund, not an e-credit.
So, I called Delta to request a refund, was on hold for about 50 minutes, was granted the refund, and was told that the money should be back on my credit card within 7 days.

I had a credit pop up on my credit card today from another refund I requested from Delta 6 days ago (after another flight was cancelled).

Even if you decide not to go, wait for the airline to cancel the flight (or to make significant changes to the itinerary). That allows you to get a refund instead of a credit voucher for future use.