Please sign in to post.

Hang gliding

hello fellow travellers 😊

I leave this weekend for the G A S tour - has anyone done the hang gliding on the Schilthorn ??
If so which company and what was the pricing ??? I want to experience everything I can

Thanks - happy travels

Posted by
2124 posts

Hi Suzanne, I don't have any info for you but can't wait to hear about your experience. Please post again when you get back home. I did the GAS tour in 2010 and had a great time. I hope you have a wonderful trip too!

Posted by
90 posts

It is not actually hang gliding - it is parasailing and it is well worth doing especially if the weather is good. If you can't get all the way up to the Schilthorn to leap then going from Muerren is very nice as well, and much less expensive both for the paragliding and the cable car fare up. Best place to sign up is at AirTime Café right in the middle of Lauterbrunnen. Best wishes and enjoy.

Posted by
90 posts

And one more thing Suzanne - the prices are around CHF 170 from Muerren and about CHF 320 from Schilthorn. Of course the Schilthorn flight is a lot more time going up and coming down, but again the weather will be a big factor in what you are able to do..

Posted by
4385 posts

We had a guy circling us at the top of the Schilthorn, it was pretty freaky

Posted by
92 posts

Suzanne,

We did the tour in August, 2012. I did the paragliding from the slopes above Murren out over the Lauterbrunnen valley. Highly recommend the experience and the views. I was fortunate to be on the last flight of the day and the pilot was catching some great updrafts so we went far down the valley and were in flight for just over 25 min (usual is about 20 min.)

Talk with your guide, as ours helped to arrange the flight for a couple of us as a last minute thrill when other plans fell through. He called the hotel we stayed at and they took it from there. I flew with Paragliding-Jungfrau ( www.paragliding-Jungfrau.ch ) for 150 or 160 Swiss franc. It is probably a little more expensive now.

By the way, if you REALLY want adventure there is a Via Ferratta ( walk on iron) in Murren. It was included in the RS supplement book on Switzerland that we received but may not be in there now as our guide at the time could not officially " discuss or recommend it.". It is a walk out onto the side of the cliff on rebar that has been nailed into the cliff, over 2 rope bridges and a loooong suspension bridge. You wear a harness with 2 caribiners to stay attatched to a cable that is also anchored into the cliff. You can see the suspension bridge from the gondola as you ride up to Murren. One of the scarier, but most exilerating hikes I have ever done. To get an idea of what it is like Google "ferrata de Murren-Gimmelwald" and click on the first couple of videos that come up.

We loved the GAS tour. Hope you have a great trip also! Happy travels!

Posted by
4385 posts

you can see the iron walk as you take the gondola up to Murren. No way!