Please sign in to post.

Grindelwald or Murren

Hey guys working on planning a trip next summer to Berner Oberland. I had a trip planned but my wife and I welcomed baby 1-then Covid-then baby 2 haha. We are able to spend about a week in BO looking to hike that week and spend quality time in the alps. I had originally thought Murren.
When I’m looking now there’s a lot that interest me on the Grindelwald side-first, jungfraujoch, Kleine Scheidegg. I’ve always put off staying there because of the increased tourist and crowd factor. Now I’ve seen a few places off the main strip that look interesting.
Is there enough to do in murren for a week? It seems most people prefer murren but having second thoughts. Also I’m looking maybe end of June or end of August. Doesn’t seem to be too much a difference? Thanks in advance!!

Posted by
11467 posts

We spent a week in a Grindelwald chalet with .friends. We loved it there! Stunning views, lots of choices as far as dining and hotels, rentals.

Posted by
161 posts

Be advised that August is TOURIST SEASON everywhere. Crowds and lines will be big. It will also be HOT ( yes, even in Switzerland nowadays).
If it were MY trip, I'd aim for the END of June.

Posted by
908 posts

Our trip to Switzerland was at the end of August/beginning of September. It was crowded with tourists, but not unreasonably so. We did need A/C at the hotel in Lucerne, but not in BO. Our stay in Wengen was magical.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for the input! I’ll see if we can line up end of June preferably.

I have things that I’d like to do on either side…if I’m in the region for a week would it be a bad idea to split stays and do half the week in Grindelwald and half in murren?

Posted by
161 posts

It would be a FINE idea.
They are fairly close, and offer different vantage points.

Posted by
10 posts

It's about a 45 min train ride from Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald..add 10-15 minutes for the ride from Murren back to the valley. Personally, I would prefer to stay in Murren and either take the train to Wengen and the cable to Mannlichen than stay in Grindelwald which I find busy and noisy and the air full of bus diesel smoke. just my two cents.