Please sign in to post.

Grindelwald Places to stay, eat.

What is your personal favorite to stay at in Grindelwald? I understand I can look on hotels.com but I'm asking about your favorite place. What is your favorite restaurant for lunch or dinner? I am going to do the swings off the mountain and possibly the flyer. I think I have the lift and know how to get there. If you know of any secret discounts let me know!

Terry

Posted by
2287 posts

Can't help with a place to stay but everytime I see Grindelwald mentioned I just remember back some 20 years ago. We stayed in the area for like 12 days, hiked absolutely everywhere in the area. Rode trains, rack rails, and chair lifts, hiked across beautiful ledges and alpine meadows, ate lunches at alpine huts, taking the 1st train in the morning up to the Top of Europe, with my pre-packed breakfast from the hotel to eat on the ride, and absolutely enjoying a cold beer or 2 at the end of the day.

Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
4675 posts

Once you decide on a hotel, book directly with the hotel. That generally results in a nice savings.
Safe travels!

Posted by
38 posts

I always do! I have found if I email the hotel I will get a better rate than online even at their website! I may stay at the Sunstar. They came me a better price room instead of the budget room including breakfast and I could drink whatever I wanted in the mini-bar!

Posted by
16170 posts

Places I have stayed in Grindelwald: Hotel Alte Post, and an apartment-hotel that had the word Residence in the name but I can’t recall the rest.

Places I would like to stay in Grindelwald if we return, and don’t get an apartment: Alpinhotel Bort, Hotel Bodmi, or Hotel Kirchbühl. Just because they appeal to me.

Posted by
38 posts

Hotel Alte Post is booked.
apartment-hotel that had the word Residence in the name but I can’t recall the rest.There is one for $1600 a night. :)

Places I would like to stay in Grindelwald if we return, and don’t get an apartment: Alpinhotel Bort. Wow this looks really neat but I'm afraid it might be more trouble than it is worth for one night. We'll want to store bags the next day.
, Hotel Bodmi, This looks really neat but I think it is too far from town and we won't have a car.
or Hotel Kirchbühl. Neat location near something I want to do.

I might have to bo back! Thanks so much!.

Posted by
16170 posts

Try Hotel Gletschergarten. Very well-regarded, right in town (but not super close to the train station). Or there is one close to the train station that is supposed to be nice—-Hotel Caprice? I will have to look at a map.

Edit: I don’t know if I was thinking of Hotel Caprice or Hotel Cabana. They are both 3-star hotels with charm, 300-400 meters from the train station (Caprice may be uphill). A friend stayed at one of them and was quite happy. Take a look at both and see what appeals to you.

https://www.cabana-grindelwald.ch/en/

https://www.hotel-caprice.ch/en-us/home/

Posted by
19 posts

I'm looking at this area too...What is the difference between Grindelwald and Luaterbrunnen? We have only 2 nights in this region & want to see as much as possible! We don't have a car. Thank you for any suggestions!

Posted by
977 posts

Well speaking as a local I’d say much of a muchness. It’s very hard to go wrong there are great views, fabulous food and good accommodation to be had through out the region.

Right now I’m at Grosse Scheidegg, it’s not off the beaten trace, but it seems to be less known to foreigners than the Swiss. The view is down on to the village of Grindlewald, across on to Eiger and over to Kleine Scheidegg and is absolutely fabulous.

I got here by post bus. The Grindlewald busses are the new low ones, so very good for people with mobility issues like myself. I’m using the Grindlewald bus pass this time which costs 62 Francs for 3 days, so good value by my standards.

Posted by
38 posts

Thanks all! I've decided to go to Grindelwald for the day so thanks for the great suggestions made by you all! I've revised topic for different questions!

Posted by
16170 posts

If you still need recommendations for a place to eat—- there is a good pizzeria near the First lift, named Onkel Tom’s. Check the hours on the website; they are not open every day.

https://onkel-toms.ch/en/

Posted by
509 posts

Another vote for Hotel Gletschergarten. https://hotel-gletschergarten.ch/en/home/

We enjoyed a comfortable room with balcony and great views of the mountains. Breakfast was excellent. As mentioned above, it's a doable walk from the RR station. However, after check-in we learned they offer a free ride to/from the station, a service we took advantage of at the end of our visit. Put their phone number in your pocket if you book.

Onkel Tom's Hutte serves a great pizza if you tire of the traditional Swiss dishes. Recent reviews on TripAdvisor are still strong.

We also stayed in one evening and ate in the Gletschergarten dining room. I don't recall any other names, but we ate well every night.