Please sign in to post.

Google Maps

Wife and I going to CH in Sept.
Will the Google Maps feature on her cell phone work just the same over there
as it does here?
Any language barriers on describing on where we go?
Thanks for your help.

Posted by
7850 posts

Yes as long as you make sure you have an internet connection on your phone using data. There is no language barrier in the tourist industry in Switzerland.

Posted by
418 posts

You can download offline maps within Google Maps so that it works even without cell coverage. Just do a google search for "how to download offline maps in the Google Maps app". Very helpful for if you get somewhere without great service or are out hiking.

Posted by
1323 posts

Note: When working offline Google Maps cannot make a walking route - only a driving route. You need to find your own route on the screen.

Posted by
1655 posts

Be aware that google maps doesn't know about all the many roads in Switzerland that you as a non-local are not allowed to drive on. So it is not because Google Maps says you can drive somewhere that you actually can. Pay attention to the roadsigns. Here in the Bernese Oberland we have even started putting up signs in English, Arabic and Hindi because tourists keep driving their cars where they shouldn't.

Posted by
485 posts

Hi, as an English speaker living here I just keep all my phone/app settings on English...so no problem with that. I find Google Maps to be very helpful, even if just walking around in a new location.

If you are hiking at all, get a good hiking app. Google maps won't help you much here. I use Switzerland Mobility

https://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/switzerlandmobility-app-e.html

I also have the translation app DeepL on my phone and find it to be very accurate

Most people can speak English and whenever I am unsure about something I just start asking people around me and they are very happy to help.

In my opinion having data is non-negotiable. This is not an area where I would try to save a few $, it is so easy to get slightly twisted around and knowing the right direction to travel in can make all the difference.