Please sign in to post.

Golden Pass Tickets

In anticipation of our family trip in June, I have already purchased 6-day Swiss Travel passes. We plan to take the Golden Pass from Montreux to Interlaken Ost and I was hoping to pre-buy my tickets. Can I purchase seat reservations using my travel pass?

Posted by
6 posts

I see that this question has been recently asked and answered. The only difference is that my Swiss Travel pass is 2nd class and I'd like to upgrade to first class on this leg. Is that possible?

Posted by
7833 posts

Yes this is possible. I reserved a first class seat reservation on the Golden Pass Line with a 2nd class STP. They charged me the difference once they came to check. That was in 2019.

Posted by
16241 posts

Make your reservation now, but I suggest you go to a station when you get to Switzerland, ask the agent to upgrade you, and pay the supplement then. That way, it will be clear you aren’t trying to get away with anything. The conductors can get kind of testy if they suspect you are trying.

Posted by
1 posts

I purchased my STP online and have the PDF with my code for each of two travelers.
Now I am using that link to try to reserve two Golden Pass seats.
I do not see a location to add our STP numbers. It is asking me to buy a ticket along with my seat reservations!
I don't want to pay twice but I cannot find what I am doing incorrectly.
Thanks

Posted by
16241 posts

You can reserve on this website, which is the dedicated Golden Pass website.

https://www.goldenpassline.ch/en/

Go to “ buy a ticket” and when You get to the page asking for “reductions”, you choose “ reservation only”. Note that you cannot make seat reservations for any sections that are on regular regional trains.

Posted by
4392 posts

Also remember that there are many trains on that route and some are just regular trains that likely won't take reservations. You don't necessarily have to go on the "official" trains. The scenery is always the same.

Posted by
1634 posts

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you do not need a ticket. The pass is your ticket.
You also do not need a reservation for any of the trains on the Golden Pass route. But you can get seat reservations if you so wish. Easiest is to just do this at the station.
Trains in Switzerland are mass transit. Mass transit with nice scenery. And while there are a handful of trains where you do need to get a reservation and pay a surcharge the trains on the Golden Pass Route do not require them. These trains are used buy locals to go about their daily business, and they would not put up with that.

Posted by
1634 posts

That you do not need to add STP numbers when making reservations is because it is not necessary to already have a ticket or a pass in possession to make reservations. That you have a ticket or pass is only checked once on board the train.
Reservations are also often not even checked. You just go to your seat and sit down, and if there is someone already sitting there you just say that you have reserved that seat and ask them to move.