Please sign in to post.

Golden Pass Reservations

Hello all - I have read so many posts about the Golden Pass reservation system and how confusing it can be. So I would appreciate some assistance:
1. My husband and I are traveling to Switzerland this coming September. We will have a Swiss Travel Pass and would like to take the Golden Pass train route to Interlaken from Montreux on September 20.
2. We understand it is best to make reservations on the Panoramic train from Montreux to Zweismmen. We actually cannot make those reservations until 92 days before 9/20 so just trying to get my ducks in a row
3. When I go to the MOB website - it shows me the 8:50 Panoramic train from Montreux to Zweismmen and if I put in that I want to go to Interlaken - via Zweismmen it does give me the whole trip, changing trains in Zweismmen - direction Bern (R6818) - changing trains in Speiz (RE4220) - then on to Interlaken. If I use this to make reservations - does that mean that I will have to pay a reservation fee for all parts of the trip?
3. I have also tried putting in just Montreux to Zweismmen - that shows me the 8:50 panoramic train - and when reservations open, I can reserve seats on that train. I then have looked at the trip from Zweismmen to Interlaken separately, and it seems the trains are different that what is listed above- Zweismmen to Speiz ((RE 4068) change in Speiz and then on to Interlaken.
4. What is the difference in the R versus the RE trains?
5. I have tried to do this trip on the SBB website and can't figure it out....
I appreciate any and all suggestions to help me get this all straight! Thanks in advance for your time and patience! Peggy

Posted by
19654 posts

The railway from Montreux to Zweisimmen is a narrow gauge line owned and operated by MOB (Montreux Oberland Bernois railway), and has panoramic cars on certain trains. The railway from Zweisimmen to Spiez and Interlaken is a standard gauge line owned and operated by the BLS (Bern-Loetschberg-Simplon railway) and does not have panoramic cars. Thus you have to change trains in Zweisimmen.

"R" is a Swiss regional train that makes all the stops. "RE" is a Swiss regional express train that may skip smaller stations. These trains do not have reservations available.

Posted by
26 posts

Thank you so much! So sounds like the best thing to do is make the reservations for the panoramic train on the MOB and then use SBB to figure out the best trains for the rest of the trip- Really appreciate your help!

Posted by
32523 posts

it isn't that complicated really.

Most passengers on the train who are not locals (locals wouldn't be on the fancy panoramic trains anyway, unless it met their schedule) will be going forward, same as you. At Zweisimmen all you do is leave the train you came in on and walk a couple of yards across the platform to the main line train which is waiting for you and pop on.

Some trains from Zweisimmen will go all the way to Interlaken Ost, some will be routed to Bern. If it stays to Interlaken just stay on. If it is to Bern, hop off at Spiez and get the next train to Interlaken. It will be announced, it will be on the yellow departure sheets on the platform, it will be in the overhead display. And easiest it will be on the app on your phone.

The best views from the panoramic train are the descent down into Montreux.

Posted by
26 posts

Perfect - thank you both so much for quelling my fears! We will arrive in Switzerland on September 8 - and taking trains throughout our visit. Hopefully by September 20, when we head to Zermatt, we will be confident train riders! So looking forward to our trip!