Please sign in to post.

Golden Pass question

I will be staying in Montreux for few days mid-September. I had my trip planned until I literally just discovered a long-lost cousin who lives in Saanen (very close to Gstaad). She told me to take the MOB from Montreux to Saanen, then we will hang out for the day in Saanen and Gstaad.

I am extremely confused with this train scheduling. I see I can buy a ticket on the MOB directly to Saanen. But it seems to be different than the Golden Pass VIP panoramic tickets. I know the Golden Pass is just for the reservation. Are these actually different trains all together? Because the Golden Pass train does not stop in Saanen - only Gstaad. I guess I could go all the way to Gstaad and then take a quick train back to Saanen, where she will pick me up.

It also seems as if the ride FROM Gstaad to Montreux is the better direction for the view? Is this right? In that case, I can take a regular train to Saanen, and then as we will end up in Gstaad, I can book the journey back to Montreux in the opposite direction in the early evening. There is a train that leaves at 18:00 (6 PM). Will this give me enough light in mid September?

Is there another way to figure out the optimal train viewing? Should I go all the way to Zweisimmen in the AM and then back to Saanen? If I am going to Saanen, which was not originally planned, trying to figure out the optimal sight-seeing on the way/back.

Thanks for any help.

Posted by
17168 posts

The regular regional trains departing Montreux at 50 minutes past the hour stop in Saanen. The so-called Golden Pass Express does not. But as you propose, you could return to Montreux on the designated scenic train in the evening, transfering to Gstaad or Chateaus d’Oex to pick it up there. The downhill direction, going toward the lake and Montreux, is indeed the more scenic journey.

Posted by
173 posts

Thank you. So would I buy the ticket on the SBB site? The MOB site? I am confused with this part (are these two different trains?). On the way back, I know I need to make the seat reservation on the Golden Pass site - probably thinking of the special seats, but still not sure where to buy the tickets.

There is a train from Gstaad to Montreux at 18:00 - 19:30. Sun sets at about 19:35 on that day. It seems as if I will catch the great view on the way back!