Please sign in to post.

Golden Pass help!

We will be taking the Golden Pass train from Interlaken Ost to Montreux. I will have a Swiss Travel Pass for my husband and myself, and the family pass for our three kids.

I have read that it is recommended to purchase a reservation for the portio of the Golden Pass ride from Zweisimmen to Montreux. However, I cannot figure out how to time that ticket. When I look on https://reservations.mob.ch, I only see a few train times. When I look on SBB or Omio, I see more train times listed as SBB trains, but not called Golden Pass. How do I figure out which Golden Pass I can get on at Interlaken Ost? And then do I just change seats on that same train when we get to Zweisimmen?

Thanks in advance-

Posted by
19959 posts

The MOB site should show the "official" Golden Pass connections.
You don't just "change seats" at Zweisimmen, you change trains. The train from Interlaken Ost is a standard gauge train. The train tracks from Zweisimmen to Montreux are 1 meter rail-to-rail, narrower than standard gauge, so the train from Interlaken can't run on them, thus the need to change trains.

The "Golden Pass" trains you are interested in have panorama cars between Zweisimmen and Montreux, so those are the trains people want to have reservations on. There are no panorama cars on the trains from Interlaken to Zweisimmen. The trains are all co-ordinated so as one arrives at Zweisimmen from Interlaken, the other train is waiting for its passengers to make the change.

So if you get reservations for one of the panorama trains, just make sure you get a train to Zweisimmen that arrives before the train you have reservations for departs.

Posted by
20 posts

That is very helpful. So I can plan on any train from Interlaken to Zweisimmen in that case? It doesn’t have to be a “ Golden Pass”? When I look on the Golden Pass ticket site it only gives two options for trains from Interlaken to Zweisimmen: 9:08 or 13:08.
I couldn’t figure out why the trains were so infrequent. But if I look on SBB, there are several offerings.

So my plan would then be to get on any train that my Swiss Travel Pass covers to get from Wengen to Interlaken to Zweisimmen, but prepurchase the ticket from Zweisimmen to Montreux?

Thank you, Sam!

Posted by
19959 posts

Your Swiss Travel Pass is valid for the train from Zweisimmen to Montreux. If you want to be assured of sitting together, you should buy seat reservations.

Posted by
16893 posts

If you're searching schedules through SBB or DB, it's helpful to add Zweisimmen as a midpoint on your route search. Or make separate requests to and from Zweisimmen. Otherwise, they focus on faster connections via Bern, which you don't want.