Please sign in to post.

Golden Pass Express

First time travelers to Switzerland! I have a couple of questions related to the Golden Pass Express. I know it's not running at the moment - website says until June. We are travelling in August and I reserved Prestige seats from Montreux to Interlaken Ost on GPX. Tickets are not available to be purchased until "2 months prior", so I selected "seat reservations only". However, now I'm not sure how to just buy tickets? If I pretend I'm travelling in one month, it doesn't give me the option for tickets only... it tries to find open seats. We are only in Switzerland for 4 days of our trip and I am planning to buy the half fare pass but not the Swiss Travel Pass. How do I buy tickets only, now that I've already made the seat reservations? OR...is it safe to wait until we get there? Also, since the train isn't currently running due to line issues, if they don't fix the line issues by the time we travel, will we be at risk of not having any seats at all? Confused...

Posted by
20100 posts

Wait until 2 months before your travel date. Tickets in Switzerland are good on any train on the stated route that day and they can't sell out. You have a seat reservation, so you know you have a seat, no matter how many people show up to board the train.

Posted by
1655 posts

You can always just buy a ticket at the station. Do not worry to much about it.

If the GPX does not run trough to Interlaken in August you will have to change trains. But that is not a big issue. And "not enough seasts" is rare in Switzerland.