Please sign in to post.

Golden Pass

I plan on traveling the Golden Pass from Luzern to Montreux around May 27th. Do I need to make reservation or can I purchase tickets once I am in Luzern? Can you hop on and off or does that require separate tickets for each section? Has anybody stayed in Interlaken, Zweisimmen or Montreux? Any suggestions. Thanks

Posted by
20084 posts

As long as you don't have a reservation, you can hop on and off for the rest of the day. Or more accurately, if you have a seat reservation, it evaporates when you exit the train.

The section from Luzern to Interlaken Ost is operated by Zentralbahn and runs every hour and is all panoramic type cars, so probably not necessary for that. The seation from Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen is operated by the BLS and does not have panoramic cars, so probably no need there. The section from Zweisimmen to Montreux is operated by the MOB. Some of it trains have panoramic cars and are very popular, and in the summer, they recommend reservations. Trains are once per hour and every other train is a panorama train.

Posted by
1166 posts

Has anybody stayed in Interlaken?

This is a whole subject !

Were you planning any time in the Berner Oberland region ? You will be informed by many that one doesn't stay in Interlaken - you stay in Murren or Wengen to experience this spectacular area.

Has anybody stayed in Montreux ?

We rode the Golden Pass last fall and got off in Montreux. The lakefront walks were delightful. We had already planned a stay in Lausanne, however, which was lovely too.