Please sign in to post.

Glacier Express

Can you ride on a portion of the route rather than the entire tour? If so, which section is the most scenic?

Posted by
901 posts

My husband and I rode the Glacier Express from, I believe it was, Davos Monstein. It was not the beginning of the route. It ended in Zermatt. So, yes, you can ride just a portion. Even then, it was at least six hours long and gorgeous. We could truly see the end of the train from the front as it snaked around mountain passes, just like the ads.

Posted by
32750 posts

The route is served by hourly all-stops local trains on the same route, taking the same amount of time, with the same scenery and views. You can have a ticket between any 2 or more stations, or the whole line, or any part. You will need to find a way back or to your next destination.

Many is the time I have gone a few stations for one reason or another and just caught the next one back.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank You for the insight. We will be traveling from Strasbourg to Luzern and then I want to head south west to Zurmatt. Where is the closest station to pick up the Glacier Express?

Posted by
32750 posts

you could do that by Luzern to Göschenen, short train link to Andermatt, then connect to either the named train or local train on the Glacier Express line.