Please sign in to post.

Glacier express

I would like to travel from Zermatt to Saint Moritz on the glacier express first week in October. I am concerned that the sun and the glare may make it a very hot eight hour trip. Is this likely to be a problem first week in October. If so what could be an alternative train trip
Many thanks

Posted by
20178 posts

If you are afraid it will be too hot in October, what do they do in July?

Posted by
3 posts

Swelter. I wouldn’t do it.

Why I ask is because a You tube young couple were complaining it was very hot.
So hoping first week in October should be ok and no chance of a hot day.

Posted by
20178 posts

All it takes is one Youtube or TikTok vid to put some people off their feed. The power of the Influencers.

Posted by
2427 posts

We did the Glacier Express in September several years ago on a gorgeous sunny day. We were not too hot.

Posted by
32825 posts

if you take the regular hourly trains on the same tracks, same speed, same stations (even more actually because the named train non-stops some) same views, fewer people, the windows open to let in that cool or cold fall air

Posted by
53 posts

This is something that I am slightly worried about too, as we have seat reservations in Excellence Class for 1st October from St. Moritz to Zermatt.

I have found that European trains tend to be incredibly overheated, by my standards, so always now dress accordingly.

Lola, when I reserved our seats it stated that train direction was unknown.

Posted by
20178 posts

The Glacier Express changes directions at Chur. Thus they cannot say for sure the direction, as it is different in different sections.

Posted by
6916 posts

I really would not worry about heat on a train in Switzerland in October. Worst comes to worst, it is easy to catch some fresh air at one of the many stops (stay by the door, though).