Please sign in to post.

Glacier Express

How and when should we purchase tickets for the Glacier Express, for late September (2024) from Disentis to Zermatt? Does the ticket include meals? How can we be sure four people can sit together. I've read that it is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass but I think the Glacier Express requires a special reservation. When should/can we buy the Swiss Travel Pass? Thank you!

Posted by
8120 posts

The ticket does not include meals.
To ensure 4 people together you have to pay to reserve the seats online:
https://shop.glacierexpress.ch/gex_en/specials/daytrips/glacier-express/?___from_store=gex_en

It is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass but you have to pay to reserve a seat.
Buy the Swiss Travel Pass online a few days before yo know you are definitely going or in person at the SBB office at the airport. They are open from 7am to 9pm.

Posted by
20799 posts

When you buy your seat reservations, you will be able to pick your exact seats from the carriage diagram. You should do that now. Get 4 seats around a table.

You could also buy Saver Day Passes now for 52 CHF. The regular ticket price is 88 CHF. That is if you are not getting Swiss Travel Passes,in which case you do not need tickets at all.

You will get menus and drink price list and be served at your table just like you were at a restaurant.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for the replies to my question about tickets for the Glacier Express! following up, if we pay to get specific seats for four together on the Glacier Express, is that done at the same time as making the reservation? We plan to buy the Swiss Travel Pass, which I think we can do anytime, before the trip, or when we arrive at Zurich. Any advice on this? We won't want to pay twice, obviously.

Posted by
5 posts

Also, I was under the impression we can only make the Glacier Express reservations on the exact 93rd day before the date we want. If we are reserving seats upon making the reservation, does that mean we will be paying at that time, and how does that work if we plan on getting the Swiss Travel Pass? The 93rd day before the desired date is next Monday.

Posted by
144 posts

You have to buy the seat reservation regardless of the pass that you have. There are no discounts on the seat reservation fee for 1/2 fare card or Swiss travel pass. You pay.the reservation fee when you book your seats on the train - 93 days in advance. You have until day of departure to buy your tickets. With the STP it is free so you may not need to worry about the ticketing portion. We used a 1/2 fare card and purchased tickets well after we paid the reservation fee.

Posted by
5 posts

When we went to the Glacier Express website to test the reservation system, they do not list Disentis as a starting point. Sounds like we need to board at Chur. Does anyone know the name of the correct train station for the Glacier Express in Chur? We will be needing accommodations overnight in Chur near the Glacier Express train station so need to know which station. Ideas?

Posted by
20799 posts

Where exactly are you staying? If near Disentis/Muster, take an earlier regional train to Andermatt and board there rather than back tracking to Chur. For instance, you can take a 12:14 regional train to Andermatt, arriving at 13:22, and then wait for the 14:08 Glacier Express to Zermatt.

But to answer your question, the main station in Chur is just "Chur". Other stations are minor stations or bus stops, like "Chur West" or "Chur Wiesental"