Please sign in to post.

Gimmelwald weather in early June 2014

After watching Rick's episodes in Gimmelwald, we planned to sped part of our European honeymoon in Gimmelwald. We have booked flights and trains for our stay from June 3rd through the 6th. We've been watching the weather, and it has been well below freezing all day, everyday, and the forecast projects much of the same for June (highs between 9 and 15 degrees Fahrenheit) I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy myself in temperatures this cold! And we certainly dont have room for snow suits in our carry-on luggage. I thought it was summer in June in Gimmelwald? Is it unseansonably cold this year? Do you have any reliable information that we should expect it to be warmer? Or can you suggest alternative destinations that will be a tolerable temperature?

Thanks!

Posted by
7209 posts

Watching the weather from what source??? The people who live in Gimmelwald will tell you mountain weather changes are very hard to predict even for just a few days out. Any weather site that's giving you weather forecasts for Gimmelwald for June 6 is not worth even a penny! You need to be calm and stop panicking. You've obviously booked a place to stay so why don't you email or call them and get current weather info that's reliable. Perhaps Chris from Murren will read your post and chime in. Whatever you do don't worry. I've been to Murren more times than I can count in late May and early June and have only once seen a patch or two of snow on the ground.

Posted by
32198 posts

According to THIS forecast the temperatures will be somewhat warmer from 3 - 6 June, with daytime highs at about 14C and lows about 5C (unfortunately overcast though). Although this forecast is for Mürren, that's close to Gimmelwald so should be the same.

Posted by
12040 posts

Those temperatures you quoted are likely Celcius, not Fahrenheit. 9-15° C translates to about 48-60° F. That sounds about right for the Alps for late May- early June, if maybe slightly cooler that usual, but not outside the expected range of temperatures.

PS: Right now I'm watching the Panoramabilder they show every morning on TV over here. It's shows live video pans from various locations throughout Germany and Austria, but mostly concentrated in the Alps. The pattern I'm seeing for the mountains is: no snow at all below 1000m; between 1000 and 1500 m, the conditions vary from no snow at all, to light coatings, to melting old snow to fresh deep snow. Above 1500 it's almost all still snowed in. The images don't show the Berner Oberland, but if we can extrapolate from similar altitudes in Austria and Germany, I would say there's a better than even chance that Gimmelwald hasn't seen it's last snow for the year yet.

Posted by
6898 posts

We've been to Muerren and Gimmelwald in the first few days of June. Great weather. Actually quite warm. Snow had retreated to well above the 5,200' at Muerren. No guarantees on the weather, however. Two great things in early June. 1) the wildflowers are in full bloom. Very beautiful in the Alps. 2) the farmers are walking their cows through the towns and up to higher pastures on most mornings. Here's link to a video that we took outside our hotel in Lauterbrunnen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3AhYmEKqps

Posted by
12040 posts

It appears Mürren has a fresh coat of snow, although it doesn't look particularly deep. It's snowing or has recently snowed in most of the Alps, and in some places, the accumulation is quite significant. Odd, because this winter was unseasonably warm, but in the past two weeks or so, the temperatures have dropped significantly. Kitzbühl and Obertauern are both reporting lower temperatures than when I visited in February and early March!

Posted by
4 posts

We were in Gimmelwald at the very end of May and the weather was absolutely perfect. We wore shorts and Ts while hiking and did encounter small amounts of snow at the tip top of the mountains we hiked but it was still warm. The sun was shining and all was beautiful. Also, even if you have the crappiest weather in Gimmelwald, it will still be the most breathtaking place you will ever go! Worry not, honeymooners!

Posted by
12040 posts

Heat wave coming in the next few days after a rather colder-than-usual May....