Please sign in to post.

Getting around Switzerland

This April, my family (5 of us all over 17 years of age) will be in Switzerland. After landing in Zurich, we will take the train to our destination, Esther's Guesthouse in Gimmelwald. We will have 4 days & intend to stay mostly local. We want to check out the surrounding towns & would like to go up to Schlitzhorn. I'm wondering how much it will cost us to everytime we leave Gimmelwald to explore? More specfically, how much is the cable car from Gimmelwald to Interlaken or Gimmelwald to Muren? Since there will be 5 of us transportation costs might add up quickly and I was thinking we should try to organize outselves to cut down on cable car rides.

Posted by
768 posts

According to this website, it will cost you about 6 CHF ($6) for a cable car up to Murren or down to Stechelberg:
https://schilthorn.ch/cmsfiles/tarif-flyer_2018.pdf

If you want to travel a lot, consider a Berner Oberland Pass, which will cover trains and cable cars from Luzern on down (and a discount on the Schilthorn).

You can see all of Gimmelwald in 45 min. Have you considered staying in Murren?

Posted by
32201 posts

susan,

If you're planning on doing a lot of travelling in that region, one of the Swiss Passes might be beneficial. When in April will you be in the Berner Oberland? The Berner Oberland Regional Pass would be one to consider, but unfortunately those are only available after 21 April 2018. You may find this website helpful - https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains/switzerland-rail-passes .

Another Pass that you could consider is the Half Fare Card. You'll have to do the math and compare the cost of the pass vs the cost of individual tickets. You can see the fares on various segments of the Schilthornbahn on their website - https://schilthorn.ch/en/Infos/Timetable__and__Tariff .

One other point to mention is that when you arrive at Interlaken Ost (which will be the second station if coming from Zürich), you can buy tickets direct to Gimmelwald that will include all modes of transport. There are two ways to reach Gimmelwald, so you'll need to specify that you'll be going via Stechelberg when you buy tickets. When you arrive at Lauterbrunnen, look for the Post Bus (bright yellow, you can't miss it). Board that for the short trip to Stechelberg and then walk up the stairs and board the next cable car. Gimmelwald is the first stop. When you start walking up the path from the cable car station, Esther's is a large building on the right.

If you want to have a look at Mürren, I'd suggest taking the short cable car ride up the hill, and then walk back down on the paved path.

Posted by
219 posts

You can buy all your transportation tickets all the way to Gimmelwald when you're in the Zurich airport's train station. That includes bus and cable car as well as trains. No need to wait to reach Interlaken to make your purchase.

Or, if you want a Berner Oberland Pass, which includes all means of transportation from Luzern into the whole Berner Oberland area, including the cable cars up to Gimmelwald and Muerren, plus discounted to Schilthorn, then just buy your train ticket as far as Luzern, and buy your Berner Oberland Pass at the Luzern train station or in its Tourist Information office (beside Platform 3).

Here's a panorama map of the Berner Oberland Pass valid area to help you picture the lay of the land (Click the plus sign to enlarge the map):
http://www.regionalpass-berneroberland.ch/assets/karte-und-partner/Regionalpass-Panoramakarte-2017.pdf

If you take the hourly (47 minutes after each hour) direct train to Luzern, you'll only change trains at Luzern and Interlaken Ost stations (although you'll stop at many stations on the way).

Posted by
41 posts

Thanks to everyone for responding. Unfortuantely, it appears the Berner Oberland Pass is not available for purchase at the time of our arrival on April 4th. Our plan is to take the more scenic route from Zurich to Interlaken Ost via Luzern. We will buy our tickets all the way up (train, bus and cable) to Gimmelwald, as suggested, in Zurich which will be convenient.

One other question, we will spend our 4 days checking out Gimmelwald (all of 45 min) , Interlaken and Murren. We have opted to go to Schlitzhorn, weather permitting, as it is less time consuming cheaper than Jungfrau. I was wondering if there was another must see in the vacinity of where we will be during this time of the year? Again, thank you for all your suggestions.

Posted by
8437 posts

Its Schilthorn, not Schlitzhorn. Schlitz being a old beer brand in the US, I can remember making a mountain of their cans in college, but its probably not what you want.

If the weather's unpleasant, you can go to the Trummelbach Falls, which are mostly inside (the mountain).

Posted by
219 posts

One other question, we will spend our 4 days checking out Gimmelwald (all of 45 min) , Interlaken and Murren. We have opted to go to Schlitzhorn, weather permitting, as it is less time consuming cheaper than Jungfrau. I was wondering if there was another must see in the vacinity of where we will be during this time of the year?

You mentioned you'll be going up to Schilthorn.
I think you'll find yourself in Mürren a lot (Just one cable car stop above Gimmelwald). It's a very cute village and has many amenities.
Allmendhubel is above Mürren, connected by a funicular. There's a stunning view up there!
Interlaken is mainly only a place for large tour groups to find lodging so they can make day trips to the Jungfrau area where you're already staying. And Interlaken Ost is where everyone has to change trains to get to the Jungfrau area, only you'll already be staying in that Jungfrau area. So don't waste your time going into Interlaken. It's not in the mountains!

Other wonderful places to see, near Gimmelwald:
Männlichen and Kleine Scheidegg--they're on the other side of your valley, via Lauterbrunnen, then via Wengen.

Posted by
41 posts

In traveling from Zurich to Interlaken via Luzern I found the following recommediation that sounds nice:

There are two options for a scenic route by train from Zürich to Interaken Ost. Both involve travelling over the Golden Pass scenic route between Luzern and Interlaken Ost. The difference between them is the route between Zürich and Luzern.
The default (and fastest) route from Zürich to Luzern skirts the top of the Zugersee (Lake Zug). The more scenic route goes all the way along the Zugersee, and part way up the other side, and takes about half-an-hour-longer.
To get the scenic route in the timetable, do a timetable search "From Zürich" "To Interlaken Ost" "via Arth-Goldau" and "Via Luzern".
This route goes along a hillside on the eastern side of the Zugersee (Lake Zug), and you have scenic views from an elevated position down to the lake, lakeside villages, and the mountains (including the Rigi) on the other side of the lake. Sit on the right.
Then, regardless of which route you choose to get to Luzern, from Luzern to Interlaken Ost, you will travel along part of the Golden Pass route. The highlights of this route include several lakes, and going over the Brünig Pass. You will really notice the train starting to climb after Giswil. Sit on the right if you can.

I'm struggling to understand how to purchase rail tickets and obtain a price. If I were to do the above trip recommendation but continue from Interlaken on up to Gimmelwald, can I buy one ticket in Zurch that accomplishes all of this? If so, how do I selct the route, such as Arth-Goldau? I'm finding this all overwhelming.

Posted by
8889 posts

I'm struggling to understand how to purchase rail tickets and obtain a price.

You don't need to buy rail tickets in advance. Switzerland, unlike surrounding countries, does not have (many) discounts for advance purchase, just buy tickets at the station on the day. A standard price applies, a ticket is valid on any train that day. No reservations.
You can get times and prices from the SBB website: https://www.sbb.ch/en
Note: the headline "from" price assumes you have a Half Price Railcard, the full price is double that.

Except, you need to decide before you leave home if you want to get a Rail Pass. the three options are:
1) Pay full fares for everything.
2) Buy a Half Price Railcard (CHF 120 per person); and pay half price for all your tickets.
3) Buy a Swiss Pass, then you do not have to buy any tickets.
Details of the rail passes are here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/international-guests.html
You need to do the arithmetic yourself to decide which is best. It is probably option (2) Half Price Cards

If I were to do the above trip recommendation but continue from Interlaken on up to Gimmelwald, can I buy one ticket in Zurch that accomplishes all of this? If so, how do I selct the route, such as Arth-Goldau? I'm finding this all overwhelming.

Yes. On the SBB website, there is an option to add a "via" location.

Posted by
7209 posts

And don't stress yourself in finding a "scenic" train route. No scenic route compares to what you WILL see when you arrive in the Berner Oberland. Gimmelwald is nice, and I hope you enjoy your 4 days there. It's a sleepy sleepy sleepy little farming village. If you want some restaurants or groceries or souvenirs you'll need to jump on the gondola and ascend to Murren.