Please sign in to post.

Getting around Switzerland

So, I think I've got the Switzerland portion of my itinerary down, w/3 nights in Lausanne and 3 in Murren. Ill be coming in from France by train, likely Paris to Lausanne, which seem straight forward. My question is, how hard is it to get to Murren from Lausanne? Form what Im reading, it seems like it may take an entire day.

Right now it seems like it will be more efficient to double back to GVA and fly to Munich as well, so Id have to do it twice.

And once we're in Murren is it easy to get around to other locations, or is it cumbersome to get in and out of Murren?

Posted by
27132 posts

Doesn't look bad to me at all, about 3 hours with trains running twice per hour. See the SBB website.

You should be able to get info on some daytrips from Murren on that same webpage.

I don't understand your reference to Munich. Is that where you're heading after Murren? You can reach Munich in about 7 hours.

Posted by
115 posts

Yea, sorry, I had another thread posted not too long ago when I was trying to figure out where to stay in Switzerland. After we leave Murren we will need to head to Munich.

So its about 3 hours to Murren from Lausanne? I read how you have to take some tram or something after you get off the main train, it made me wonder how isolated the area is. Ive never been to Switzerland. Since the train to Munich seems like it wold be about 7 hours, I was considering doubling back through Geneva to catch a flight, Im not sure which would be more efficient.

Posted by
32212 posts

dag,

It sounds like you have the transportation from Paris to Lausanne worked out, so I won't comment on that. However a few other questions.....

• where are you planning to stay in Lausanne? The town is on the side of the hill so it's a good idea to consider the location for ease in getting around. There is a Metro (Funicular) that runs up and down the hill, and that's a big help.
  • are you planning to take any day trips while in Lausanne?

The trip from Lausanne to Mürren is very easy, about 3H:08M with four changes, depending on which trains you use. You can look at all the solutions on the bahn.de website and it's very easy to buy tickets at the station in Lausanne.

Using the 10:50 departure from Lausanne as an example, there are changes in Bern, Interlaken Ost, Lauterbrunnen and Grütschalp (that sounds rather convoluted but it's actually very easy). Here's the route you'll follow using the 10:50 departure......

When you buy your tickets, be sure to specify Mürren BLM, as there are two routes to Mürren from Lauterbrunnen.

• 10:50 depart Lausanne
  • 11:56 arrive Bern
  • 12:04 depart Bern
  • 12:57 arrive Interlaken Ost (note that there are two stations in Interlaken and Ost will be the second stop).
  • 13:05 depart Interlaken Ost on the Berner Oberlandbahn which will probably be waiting. Be sure to check the digital display on the side of the coach to ensure that the destination for that coach will be Lauterbrunnen (some trains split at Zweilütschinen).
  • 13:25 arrive Lauterbrunnen. When you get off the train, walk across the street to the Cable Car station, walk up the stairs and board the cable car which will probably be waiting.
  • 13:38 depart Lauterbrunnen
  • 13:42 arrive Grütschalp. When you arrive there, the small mountain railway will be waiting. Get aboard and enjoy the scenery on the way.
  • 13:58 arrive Mürren. You'll arrive in the lower level of the station and you can either exit there or walk up the stairs and exit through the lobby of the station. You'll be at one end of town so there may be a short walk to your hotel. The Schilthornbahn is at the other end of town.

Schedules may change although not likely, but it would still be prudent to check again before your trip.

You may find it helpful to buy one of the Swiss passes to minimize the cost of transportation, as it can be expensive especially if you're using a lot of the mountain lifts.

The trip from Mürren to Munich is also fairly straightforward. One of the quickest and cheapest trips will be a departure from Mürren at 08:06, arriving 14:59 (time 6H:53M, 5 changes, final segment via Bus from Zürich). If you decide on that option, it's not too difficult.

When you arrive at Zürich Hbf, you'll need to walk to the Carpark Sihlquai to connect with the Bus (400 M). As I recall that's an easy walk from the station. If my memory is correct, these are the details....

• With your back to the tracks and looking towards the front of the station exit on the left of the building on Museumstrasse.
  • Walk towards the Walhalla Hotel which should be visible when you exit the station. The Carpark Sihlquai is right across from the main entrance to the hotel, around the corner from the part of the hotel that faces the station. You can't miss it as there will probably be lots of tour Buses in the lot.
  • it's only about a five minute walk from the station to the hotel, so it will be about the same to the Carpark.

Gueti Reis!

Posted by
4412 posts

you could also get from Lausaunne to the BO via Montreux and the Golden Pass if you want some scenery.

For rough overviews of travel options, rome2rio is a great tool.

Posted by
16893 posts

Muerren is relatively isolated, which is the whole point in going there! It requires a few transport connections, but they truly go like clockwork in Switzerland. The range of public transport infrastructure is more extensive than probably any other mountain region. Tourists handle getting in and out of Muerren and to the other side of the valley all the time. SBB schedules will show you the connection points, but service is so frequent that you barely need schedules.

The map you can pick up there is also straight-forward. I don't know where they hid it this year on their own web site, but you can see it in an image search online, such as http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Jungfrau-Grindelwald-region-summer-map. Rick's guidebook also has useful maps based on this one (but not in color).

Making a few connections by train is a key reason why we recommend packing light. However, SBB also sells a luggage handling service: https://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/luggage-and-flight-luggage/luggage.html.

Posted by
451 posts

All those train connections sound difficult but it is easy. The last time we were in Interlaken Ost, to connect to Lauterbrunnen, we walked down the stairs, under one track and back up the stairs one track over. In Lauterbrunnen, you walk underneath the trains and road straight to the Lift for Grütschalp. You get on and then board the train at the top for the ride to Murren. It is not long or difficult.